Thread: Basement Shop Flooring

Basement Shop Flooring

Finally wrapping up my basement shop and can't decide on flooring. Dry basement, poured concrete, newer home, never had water in basement. Want something soft on the feet, resistant enough to withstand rolling machinery, dropped tools, glue drips, etc. Debating between just staining the concrete and putting rubber mats down vs a glue down vinyl. The room is otherwise finished (drop ceiling, pine shiplap walls, basically a finished room except the floor). Are there any glue down vinyls out there that have a thick wear layer and can withstand the abuse? Are there any other flooring materials to consider? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I prettied up a lady's basement garage with solid vinyl coin pattern garage flooring from Home Depot. She really likes it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Co...X1SG/204820743
    Best Regards, Maurice

Whether you paint/stain the concrete or put down a vinyl plank product or roll out a typical garage flooring system, you'll likely still want anti fatigue mats in the areas you stand the most because none of those things really isolate you from the hard concrete, for the most part. Some vinyl products do have some padding, however. You might consider laying down a layer of high density foam insulation board and then floating a plywood or Advantech floor over it with the panels glued together in the T&G format of the flooring panels. That gives you a comfortable, wood surface which will handle the machines as well as being more comfortable than the concrete.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would recommend further testing for moisture if you plan to use an impermeable floor covering. This describes how to run a preliminary test. https://www.thespruce.com/test-concr...isture-1821688

Blog Entries
    I have vinyl that I rolled out, It's fantastic for practical reasons. The biggest reason is that it adds some cushion so that if you drop something it's far less likely the item will be damaged. Ive dropped edged tools without damage. By contrast if I drop something onto buy garage floor, which does not have vinyl, that edge is ruined.

It's slightly nicer to walk on than concrete, if I'm on the concrete all day it wears on me more than if I'm walking on vinyl all day.

I beat the heck out of my flooring and it shows it, but it has served a function very well.

On future floors I would likely do a large vinyl tile rather than roll out vinyl, the roll tends to be hard to keep the edges down unless you glue it. I did not glue it so that I could replace it later after it was worn out.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I enjoyed it when you had the carpet under your bench "back in the day", Brian.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I like these horse stall mats from Tractor Supply:
    Stall Mat.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    I like these horse stall mats from Tractor Supply:
    Stall Mat.jpg
    This is what I use around my bench. The rest of the shop is bare concrete. It’s easier to keep clean.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I spent a lot of time 10 years ago agonizing over flooring in my basement shop and ended up going with these:

https://www.elitegaragefloors.com/fl...lk-or-dk-grey/

I have been very happy - they have held up well and even if I drop a chisel both the flooring and the chisel survive relatively unscathed.

Cons - they were not cheap I think it was about $2200 for my 650ish sq/ft shop 10 years ago.

And yes I lost a bet on the wall color - DAMHIKT - it has since been painted white.

071.jpg