Thread: Do You Avoid Buying Gas When...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    If some of you folks don’t think bad gas is an issue, talk to a real mechanic. The place down the road was sold and the new shop owner nearly doubled his space. He will tell you his thoughts about today’s gas and some not too bright car drivers.
    I never said bad gas can't happen. I said it's not likely to be a rusty tank issue and sediment stirred up during a tanker filling the tank. Maybe steel tanks are still common where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I never said bad gas can't happen. I said it's not likely to be a rusty tank issue and sediment stirred up during a tanker filling the tank. Maybe steel tanks are still common where you are.
    Heck yes we are your neighbors, there are lots and lots of steel tanks still in the ground, yes even in Nebraska and will be for a long, long time. Where do you think all the cr*p goes when the tank is rusted and also water / dirt is present? It goes to the bottom of the tank, dumping in a few thousand gallons of new gas in the tank, do you really believe it does not get stirred up?? Talk to a mechanic who works on cars and trucks. BTW there is water and dirt also in fiberglas tanks, how could there not be??
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Heck yes we are your neighbors, there are lots and lots of steel tanks still in the ground, yes even in Nebraska and will be for a long, long time. Where do you think all the cr*p goes when the tank is rusted and also water / dirt is present? It goes to the bottom of the tank, dumping in a few thousand gallons of new gas in the tank, do you really believe it does not get stirred up?? Talk to a mechanic who works on cars and trucks. BTW there is water and dirt also in fiberglas tanks, how could there not be??
    Obviously regulations differ on this side of the big muddy. Steel hasn't been allowed here since 2008. Only fiberglass. I can't find the info on steel now but I think nothing can be in use any longer from before 1989. I'm sure any tank has a little contamination in it. I haven't had a problem in 30 years though. Over 100,000 on my current pickup bought new in 2015, same with the one before that purchased in 2004. Haven't kept the SUV's that long but no fuel problems with any of them either. Next time I see a friend who wrenches at the local Ford dealer I will ask him if they see many fuel related issues.