Thread: Vintage bandsaw motor failure

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vintage bandsaw motor failure

Hi,

I recently bought an old 16" German bandsaw, Frommia Bs 398. It is my first bandsaw and I'm still learning. As I started sawing I hadn't set the blade alignment pieces close enough to the blade, it got stuck and the motor died. After investigating the problem I found that the motor shaft had completely broken. See attached pictures.

When researching the problem I found a recommended blade speed of 3800 SFPM for a 16" bandsaw. As the saw does not have a pulley system installed this gives me a recommended motor RPM of 908. https://www.finewoodworking.com/foru...comment-326712

After also talking to a mechanic there seems to have been several issues with the old motor setup. As the motor appeared new, it must've been recently installed by someone who knew little about the saw.

1. The old motor was running at 1400 RPM, 492 RPM above recommendation.
    2. The shaft was a bit short, only coming through half of the wheel, then connected with a screw. The wheel itself also seems to have been pushed in just a bit deeper to accommodate the shorter shaft.
    3. There is no pulley system installed to help with shock reduction.

They tell me that it is uncommon for a bandsaw motor to break in this way, even if the blade gets stuck. So I am wondering if simply replacing the motor will fix the problem.

Do you think the higher RPM and the questionable shaft connection could cause this type of failure, or could there be other issues involved? Is it ok for a bandsaw motor to run without a pulley system? From what I can tell the saw never had one.

Thank you so much for your time and suggestions!
    Attached Images Attached Images