Thread: pallet jack experts

pallet jack experts

I went for lots of years with no Pallet jack, pump truck whatever is the correct name. Got a used one and its a good thing and as machine weight went up realized its just too tired. It holds itself up just play in the whole thing which is to be expected in time. Its a Liftrite and reated for 5,000 lbs. Using it on crappy concrete tired as it is with 2,500 lbs feels about the max to me. If I was on perfect smooth concrete then better.

Most are 5,5000 lbs max but looking into new ones ive found another level Heavy Duty. so I see 6,600 lbs, 7,000 lbs, 8,000 lbs, and at the top 11,000 lbs.

As ive looked at machines that go up in weight im seeing stuff around 4,000 lbs or just over. Thinking is to increase and not buy a new 5,500 one or go to the 8,000 lb or 11,000 lb. Ive saved several makers maybe five approx and want to organize it and make calls. They go up in weight as they go up and last machine I moved I did have to lift the one I have and put it in a car which sucked but its light compared to these others as they use thicker steel. Ill make it so that is not needed next time and it only has to roll and not be lifted

Anyone with good experience with these in the heavy duty range? Most of the shops I was in it was always the 5,500 lbs units which for most stuff is more than enough.

If your concrete floor has issues, then trying to roll something weighing 11,000 lbs will likely be impossible.

non of my floors are smooth and pristine, I wont be rolling an 11,000 lb machine. Likely top out at just over 4,000 but im looking for people who have the heavy duty ones if so. In 100 auctions or more ive never seen a heavy duty one or didnt know if I did, all were rated for 5,500 lbs. Theoretically there should be a difference with one running at half the capacity than almost the full capacity. The biggest issue with this older one is its tired then tired on a smooth floor would be easier.

You don't find too many rated above 5,500 lbs because most people can't push even that much weight, let alone more. So you get up in that range, and you're looking at a forklift or at least an electric pallet jack.

But, more to the point, what exactly is your issue? Why is what you have not working out for you? Is it just not staying lifted? They do wear out over time, but the hydraulics can be repaired or replaced. Eventually they'll just need replacing, but if you maintain them properly, they can last decades of heavy use. Is it just too hard to push? Because upping the pallet jack capacity won't do anything for that. Maybe new wheels or bearings might help, if those are bad. But if it's a weight issue and not a bad pallet jack issue, then you need to address the actual issue. And if the floor isn't smooth, there's not much you can do, short of going with a powered pallet jack or forklift. Something that does the pushing for you. And even then, if the floor is bad enough, you could still get stuck.

As for brand, I can't tell you what brands are good or not. I've always just used Crown. But there's a Crown dealer just down the road, so I stick with them out of convenience more than anything else. Still, they'd been good enough to not make me want to look elsewhere.

Sounds like you need new bearings or wheels. Or a seal kit.
    Bill D

If you are looking for recommendations I know Riggers use the big ones. Every once in a while we will bring in a rigger to move 30,000 lb chillers in and out of buildings in 2-3 pieces. They are nice if you have to lift something heavy but are too bulky for everyday use. We have 6-7 of the 5500 units. You should check the hydraulic jack fluid if the load is dropping.

The load is not dropping,. its old and tired like some of us. It has play in it. Logic says that having heavy duty will do a machine better than one rated closer to the weight., The point is ive never seen anyone that has one.

Its logical question. One car has a 256 open Diff the other has 293 closed diff. The 293 has more power and is better for towing same concept different thing. If i buy a new 5,500 lb thats fine but if I pay more buy one that is double the capacity weight wise id expect it works better or easier same as the diff on pulling a 16 foot trailer as its not near its capacity same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    The load is not dropping,. its old and tired like some of us. It has play in it.
    Just rehab the one you have. They aren't complicated. May need oil, or a new seal kit, etc. Throw a fresh coat of paint on if you're concerned about looks.

Google search is your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fix+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I have no interest in rebuilding this.Its fine to use as it is but im talking more serious weight than my usual 2,500 lb machines.

I thought someone here may have heavy duty one but know its not common in shops from all the auctions ive been to. Ive been at auctions with 30 for sale and all were 5,500 max. I did all the google stuiff thats how I quoted those weights and said I did in my post.

There are least five different brands that make heavier than 5,500 lb usual weight units. My floor is irrelevant if im in a parking lot. I emailed a friend with a Forklift company and hoping he will know about them. The whole point was to get one stronger than I need and can take double the weight of what ill ever need. This one can still be used as is for most machines I have or anything else that is not more serious weight.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-03-2024 at 10:24 PM.

We have a number of pallet jacks in our two stores that get daily use. I went and looked, and the most common is the Global Industries 5500 lb model. You can see it here:

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/g...BoCb5oQAvD_BwE

We also have one powered pallet jack in each store. They are made by Toyota. Load rating is 8000 lbs, but they are pretty spendy. My search showed around $10K for a new one.

Derek

spent time last night and saved six or seven at 11,000 lbs same thought want way overkill also 6,600 and 7,7000 and 8,000 next will be to call companies and ask. also see adjustable and know one or two machines would benefit from that as I had to mcigiver lifting the shapers the 27 was too wide. Did save global thanks. then need to learn about metal or other wheels as well. One complaint on the heavy weight at least one brand was to lower smooth found that on mine the first time went down far too fast and tricky to be smooth and slow but got it with some care. Every machine pick up has been different past some on with forklifts others not so looked at the saw I pulled it up maple beams with a block and tackle. Didnt want help from the past owner needed to be able to think and unloaded next day at home. Still love that John deere farmers used last time but at 200k or so its too much to ask for from santa