Thread: My "New" Dewalt 925 RAS

My "New" Dewalt 925 RAS

I love my Dewalt GWI RAS. I've had it for about 30 years. It's set up for 90 deg crosscuts, and not overly convenient to switch over to 45 deg cuts. I've used my Bosch 12" DCMS for angled cuts, but it has trouble with angled cuts in hardwood, like hard maple, without creating a smile in the mating parts despite trying several different blades. So I started looking for another RAS that I could conveniently adjust for 45 deg cuts. There is no shortage of quality RAS available in my area. Everything from the little Dewalt MBF to plenty of Delta turret models, to Dewalts RA's and GA's, one I saw with a 26" crosscut capacity. Many, many available for less than $300.

I almost bought a Delta turret model for $35, but then decided to get this Dewalt 925 (the successor of the MBF) for $100. I'm sure I could have gotten it for less, but the guy was getting divorced and I didn't have the heart to barter with him.

This saw uses a 9" blade like the MBF. That limits your choice in blades, but there are a few available, as well as 8 and 8-1/2", too. The saw had set in a detached garage for several years, so there was a little rust on it, but overall it looked to be in good shape and all the knobs and parts were there. I'd forgotten how much even a small RAS weighs. The owner and his brother put it into the back of my car, so I didn't find out until I went to take it out. I had to take it apart to get the sections light enough to carry down into my basement shop. But that gave me the opportunity to clean everything, so it wasn't completely wasted effort. The good news was everything was in good shape once I got the grease out of it.

This saw has a table with a front section that folds down. It's used for wide rip cuts, something I never plan to do, but I included the feature in the new table I made for it, just in case. With the extension lifted up, and the fence moved to the back, it can rip over 24" wide, pretty impressive for such a small saw. When I made the table I inlayed three 1" steel bars in the table so it will stay flat.

I went through the adjustments to get it to cut plumb and square, and then I tried some 45 deg cuts in hard maple. Beautiful cuts with the $33 Oshlun blade I bought for it.

And a nice tight joint.

I'm impressed so far. Impressed enough that my CMS might be making an exit, or I might at least trade it for a smaller, and truly portable one. At 64 lbs, the one I have is too heavy for this aging woodworker to carry up/down stairs.

John

The cuts look great, and I'm glad you found the saw you were looking for. I've never done a lot with an RAS, but if I had more room I can see that a good one might come in handy. Does the saw come out far enough to cut on the folding part too, if you needed it to?

Blog Entries
    I would have bought the turret..

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I would have bought the turret..
    Why would you prefer the turret?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    The cuts look great, and I'm glad you found the saw you were looking for. I've never done a lot with an RAS, but if I had more room I can see that a good one might come in handy. Does the saw come out far enough to cut on the folding part too, if you needed it to?
    Not when crosscutting; it only cuts to the front of the main table. But when outboard ripping it does, to about 1" shy of the outer edge of the folding piece.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Why would you prefer the turret?

John
    More reliable for accuracy..