Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Track Saw Eliminates need for Jointer?

This all makes sense, thanks for the input.

When you can make straight 12' handrails out of old 4x4's, that you can look at and see three sides, with a tracksaw easier than on a jointer, I'll break down and buy one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Daugird View Post
    I need to update my old Grizzley track saw. I have heard several times a quality track saw will give consistent glue-up ready cuts, what are the opinions here? I do have a small 6"(4"?) tabletop jointer, a thickness planer, and soon to build a 4'x8' router sled table for thicknessing big slabs from the sawmill. Can I get away without buying a big expensive jointer if I have a really nice track saw?

Do you have a table saw?

Two table saws. I also have a cheap track saw for breaking down sheet goods and doing non-precision work. And a small jointer. I would'nt use the little jointer on anything like a table top glue-up.

The primary reason I bought a Jet JJP-12 jointer/planer was for the wide jointer. I can get rough sawn air dried hardwood for very attractive prices. My first step on a rough sawn board is to flatten one face. Yes there are other ways to accomplish that but none as efficient as a wide jointer IMO.