Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graco Ultra Quickshot vs Fuji Q5 Platinum

Graco Ultra Quickshot vs Fuji Q5 Platinum

Hey guys looking for some advice. I currently have an LVLP setup used with my air compressor. It works well, but I find it difficult to get consistent results and it requires a lot of tuning each time to get it right. It's also quite large and cumbersome with the in line filter/pressure gauge, etc.

I'm thinking of making a switch in the next day or so. I've seen a lot of people on Youtube like Jason Bent that love the Graco Ultra Quickshot and it does seem pretty great. But there's also a guy nearby with a good deal on a Fuji Q5, which I've also always heard great things about and seems pretty plug and play compared to my current setup.

I'm mostly looking to spray clear WB finishes and occasionally WB paints. Any input would be great!

A compressor driven conversion gun is more versatile than the other options you are considering. Your inconsistent results might be due to an undersized compressor, undersized hoses, etc. And it should be cumbersome if you put the filter and pressure gauge upstream and just run a hose to the gun.

What specific gun, compressor, and finishes are you working with?

John

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    A compressor driven conversion gun is more versatile than the other options you are considering. Your inconsistent results might be due to an undersized compressor, undersized hoses, etc. And it should be cumbersome if you put the filter and pressure gauge upstream and just run a hose to the gun.

What specific gun, compressor, and finishes are you working with?

John
    Hey John I have the Qualspray AM-6008 LVLP
    My compressor is a 33 Gallon Craftsman that does 6.8cfm@40psi. It's not that I can't get good results with it, but I just have to spend so much time trying to get it just right each time. Keep in mind I've sprayed about 15 projects in the last 3 years, so I'm far from an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    My compressor is a 33 Gallon Craftsman that does 6.8cfm@40psi. It's not that I can't get good results with it, but I just have to spend so much time trying to get it just right each time. Keep in mind I've sprayed about 15 projects in the last 3 years, so I'm far from an expert.
    Your gun and compressor should give you very good to excellent results with just about any WB clearcoat. Dialing it in for any particular finish starts by measuring the viscosity, or trusting the manufacturer's data, to pick the correct needle. When in doubt, go larger. To dial in the gun start with the fan wide open, set the inlet regulator to 29 psi, the cup pressure at 5 psi, the liquid flow valve to 1 - 1-1/4 turns open, and the air valve wide open. Get a piece of cardboard, hold your gun 8 - 10" away and shoot a short burst, around 1 second. You are looking for an oval or racetrack shape with even distribution. Leave the fan and air valve wide open. Adjust the pattern with the liquid flow valve, cup pressure, and inlet regulator, but focus most of your attention on the inlet flow valve, some products might only need 3/4" turn open, others at least 2. Once you have a good pattern, write everything down in a note book. The next time you use that product, just set up your gun according to your notes. You should need very little adjustment to get the same pattern, usually just a tweak to the liquid flow valve.

FWIW, I always leave the fan wide open. If you adjust it, you have to adjust the liquid flow, too, to maintain balance. If I want to spray narrow stuff, like face frames, I spray the rails cross wise, or angle the gun so the fan is just a little wider than the frame member. I also almost never adjust the inlet air pressure. I do turn it down to around 20 for Sealcoat shellac or when spraying dyes, or when spraying inside a cabinet if the finish will still atomize well.

Once the gun is dialed in, getting a quality finish is mostly on you. But you need good lighting to do a good job. If you can't see the wet line, you're hosed. And you need a fan to carry away the overspray, both for your health and to keep it from settling in your freshly sprayed finish. With those two things in place, spray with the grain as much as possible, overlapping your passes about 50%. Work away from what you've already spread so the overspray isn't going over what you just sprayed. Your pace should give you a wet film within the range spec'd by the manufacturer, usually 3 - 5 mils. If you don't have a mil gage, get one and use it until you know what 3 - 5 mils looks like. From my experience, it's best to spray on the low side of the recommended range, just thick enough that the finish has a chance to flow out before it sets. If it looks opaque or blue, it's far too heavy. This all gets really critical on vertical surfaces, so spray horizontally whenever possible. If it doesn't flow out or feels rough after it dries, spray heavier. Sometimes you need to add Extender in order to spray thin enough coats that still have time to flow out before setting. Many folks here get great results with TC's EM-6000 and EM-8000. GF's Enduro Clear Poly sprays beautifully for me with my AM-6008 HVLP gun. High Performance and EnduroVar spray very well, too.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    What John just said. It's an excellent gun...I have the HVLP version. I will note that I also have the PPS system and have been able to spray pretty much anything with it including more viscous house paint. That did require kicking up the pressure from 45 PSI to 60 PSI, but both garage doors I did with that gun and SW Duration paint unthinned look great. Unfortunately, adjusting the gun for each kind of finish is a requirement that you cannot get around no matter what spray system you use. No exceptions. That includes the Quickshot as well as the turbine system you mention. You will ALWAY have to adjust the gun and test the application before starting to spray finish on your project. For things you commonly spray, you'll get to know the general settings that work, but even then, a little tweaking before you spray is absolutely necessary.
    --

Yeah I definitely hear what you guys are saying. I have managed to get great results, it's just because I use it so infrequently having to slightly re-learn it each time to get it right can be frustrating for me and time consuming. I was actually able to try out the Quickshot today at a friend's house and we started from scratch on a clear poly. It was just so quick to setup and crazy easy to clean. It also sprayed so fast and smooth. I think I might be sold if I can find a good used one. So yeah I definitely understand that mine is a good one, which is thanks to all of you guys for helping me decide to get it in the first place. But I think I'm just kind of over the giant compressor, loudness, hoses, etc if that makes sense.

Quick Shot is a pretty new product...the used market is likely going to be sparse.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Quick Shot is a pretty new product...the used market is likely going to be sparse.
    Hey Jim, found one! Haha. Got lucky and found a guy nearby, new never used, $1000! He runs a painting company and says he has like 5 of them, this one was just a backup that never got used. Excited to try it out tomorrow.

"Such a deal!!!" Do remember you're going to need different spray tips for the thinner stuff. Jason talked about that.
    --

Blog Entries
    It'll be interesting to hear your results. I'm a little curious about them, but their price point is way off IMO.

The idea of using less paint in an airless setup is, of course, very desirable.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

I have that same LVLP gun that I have used only a few times. Worked great with transtint/water and Sealcoat. I bought some Target Coatings EM-8000 and am going to try it on the next project.

John, your comments are really helpful. I had the filter and pressure gauge attached to the gun, and it was cumbersome.

Here's a video I made when I was deciding what tip and pressure to use for EM8000. I don't know if that Quickshot has a gauge on it or not, but I wouldn't want an airless rig without one. It makes going back to the right starting spot every time you use a particular finish easy and quick, as well as eliminating guesswork. I added a gauge to this 30 year old pump, but I am using a fairly new gun. This was my first time using this finish.

These are fine finish low pressure tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR9TCTSXyrk&t=195s

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    It'll be interesting to hear your results. I'm a little curious about them, but their price point is way off IMO.

The idea of using less paint in an airless setup is, of course, very desirable.
    Why would an airless use less finish than a conversion gun?

John

Blog Entries
    I mean less than a normal setup where you have to prime the thing with a gallon material before even using it
    Yes, I have 3 phase!