Thread: 8" Freud dado set with sliding table saw

8" Freud dado set with sliding table saw

So I'm preparing to move my shop across the country and am selling my trusty sawstop. I'm planning on buying an as-yet-undetermined sliding table saw. Should I keep my 8" dado blade set or will I need something else for most modern sliding table saws?

Also, I am planning on including my incra mitre sled and jessem stock guides with the saw. No need for those, right?

Some sliders allow a dado, some do not.

Terry is correct; some sliders, like the SCM/Minimax sliders, will take a "normal" dado stack as they have a 5/8" arbor in the US, and some, such as the Hammer/Felder will not. Some saws, such as the Hammer/Felder have to be ordered to accommodate dado type operations with their groover set, AFAIK.

That said, both of the sliders I've owned have been SCM/Minimax. I have a dado set. I have not used that dado set since I bought the first slider...in the mid-2000s. Any grooving/dados/rabbits seem to get done using other methods, such as a router, or multiple passes with the table saw blade for quick needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would hang onto it in case it can be used on your new slider. It's probably not worth reboring the set if the arbor size is different. I use a standard (1" bore) dado set on my machine but it involves removing a spacer behind the blade flange on the arbor and removing the throat plate. Some sliders will accept a dado set, some not, and on those I have worked with switching from the standard blade is a bit more time-consuming than on a cabinet saw.

The stock guides could be useful but you would have to do some modification to the typical high/low slider fence to mount them. The sled could perhaps be adapted with a new bar to fit the sliding table slot(s).
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 03-29-2024 at 10:33 AM.

Totally depends on the saw, but I use a dado stack often on my older SCM slider. I will say, though, that my arbor is 1" and I bought a new (10") dado stack with larger bore to fit this saw and had previously sold my 5/8" bore dado stack back when I sold my PM66 cabinet saw years ago. So, the arbor size is a consideration, of course.

Do you know which slider you are going to get at this point? Used or new?
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 03-29-2024 at 10:20 AM.
    Still waters run deep.

Hi, hang onto it and have it bored to fit your new saw.

I had an FS Tools st bored for my slider for $50

Regards, Rod