Thread: Sharpening dilemma.

Sharpening dilemma.

So on another thread there were suggestions of different sharpening techniques. Got me to thinking. If I were to donate some of my no-longer used sharpening stuff, would that be good or bad to the receiver?
    I mean, I am not going to give up what I use. But what I'm not using I'm not using because it doesn't work as well for me. Would I feel comfortable knowing it might frustrate someone else?
    See the dilemma?

Suggestions?

Different people like different ways of sharpening. It's not all absolutely right or wrong. Be honest about your experience with it and let them come to their own conclusions

I think it’d be great if it’s solid stuff. I think (and can attest to when I was getting into hand tools) that the sharpening part can feel like a huge extra barrier that can make it all feel like a bridge too far. A setup that works is a big step forward for someone that’s starting out or struggling. And, it goes without saying, incredibly generous of you.

Is it like a, here are some oilstones because I like water stones better, type of thing? If so, go for it!

It's fine. As an example, I hate ketchup. Ketchup was invented as a way to tolerate rotten meat. It takes over the flavor of whatever you put it on by design. To me, the only acceptable use for ketchup in today's world, where we're not forced to eat rotten meat to survive, is to get kids to each their vegetables. I don't believe an adult should ever be caught using ketchup.

However, my wife loves the stuff. She puts it on everything. And I'm fine with that, so long as she doesn't put it on my food. Do I feel bad about buying ketchup, knowing how I personally feel about it? No. My wife enjoys the stuff and it doesn't hurt me in any way when she uses it. So if it makes her happy, we'll stock ketchup.

It's the same with your sharpening stuff. You may hate it and think it's does more harm than good. But someone else might feel the complete opposite. That doesn't make either of you right or wrong. It's just a difference of opinion. So pass it along. Besides, what better way to redeem a bad purchase than to give it to someone who can make some use out of it? We've got enough garbage in the landfill.

Yep. Just because we don't like something doesn't mean it's bad. I dislike Aldi chisels, but many people swear they're the best thing ever. Luckily, online auctions exist.

An option is to list logical systems separately for sale, and move them along to people who want them.

My only hesitation about offering stuff to beginners is that they often need specific dogma to get reliable results when the skills and experience are lacking. It's a place we all have to start, and then, sometimes we move on as skills improve.

Most likely, the person who will want it is in the experimenting phase, or it's a system they already like.

Blog Entries
    This is an interesting dilemma.

My first honing stone was a soft Arkansas (Washita?) purchased at a hardware store in the late '60s or early '70s. It kind of did okay for someone who didn't know much about sharpening. It was mostly used for my pocket knife.

Oilstones didn't seem to work well for me on chisels or plane blades.

It took me a few years of learning with waterstones to finally try oilstones again.

My point is the learning curve might be difficult and frustrating for aspiring woodworkers if they didn't have someone to guide them through the ways of sharpening.

I've given oilstones to my grandson while also helping him learn to use them.

If you can give them to people in your area with an hour or two of teaching, that might be appreciated much more than a stone in the mail.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    It's fine. As an example, I hate ketchup. Ketchup was invented as a way to tolerate rotten meat. It takes over the flavor of whatever you put it on by design. To me, the only acceptable use for ketchup in today's world, where we're not forced to eat rotten meat to survive, is to get kids to each their vegetables. I don't believe an adult should ever be caught using ketchup.

However, my wife loves the stuff. She puts it on everything. And I'm fine with that, so long as she doesn't put it on my food. Do I feel bad about buying ketchup, knowing how I personally feel about it? No. My wife enjoys the stuff and it doesn't hurt me in any way when she uses it. So if it makes her happy, we'll stock ketchup.

It's the same with your sharpening stuff. You may hate it and think it's does more harm than good. But someone else might feel the complete opposite. That doesn't make either of you right or wrong. It's just a difference of opinion. So pass it along. Besides, what better way to redeem a bad purchase than to give it to someone who can make some use out of it? We've got enough garbage in the landfill.
    I feel the same but it's mayonnaise that is the devils condiment. Whipped up oil, no thank you

As far as the sharpening, as it's been said everyone has their preferences, someone will be a happy recipient and hopefilly get some use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I feel the same but it's mayonnaise that is the devils condiment. Whipped up oil, no thank you
    I grew up in a Miracle Whip household. When I met my wife (to be) and her kids, they were set on Hellman's mayonnaise. Thought I was going to be burned at the stake there for a minute!

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    I grew up in a Miracle Whip household. When I met my wife (to be) and her kids, they were set on Hellman's mayonnaise. Thought I was going to be burned at the stake there for a minute!
    We used the same in my house growing up, it's only slightly less evil than Hellmans.
    I was the only one of 6 kids that used mustard instead on my sandwiches.

Blog Entries
    My mom loved Miracle Whip. Candy, my wife, was a Best Foods (Hellmans east of the Mississippi or the Rockies) lover. That is until recently they switched the oil to soybean oil.

I like a little mayonnaise on a sandwich or artichoke, not slathered on like some folks want it.

Right now I am a bit low on mustard, there are only four different types in the frige at the moment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)