Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weed Control for Rock Beds

I use herbicidal vinegar, 20-30% acetic acid. It works for me in my situation. You should evaluate whether it suits yours. Here’s a link to one article - there are many others. LINK
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    The weeds poke right through the fabric. The same thing happened at my previous house, but the rock beds were much smaller and it was easier to manage the weeds. Landscape fabric works for a couple of years, then it seems to create more problems than no fabric.

Strangely, the area around my two trees in the front yard have no landscape fabric. The trees are surrounded by mulch and I almost never get weeds growing in the mulched areas.
    I've learned over time not to use landscape fabric, stuff composts on top of it and weeds grow. Mulch every year works. I wouldn't worry about using chemicals for spot treatment affecting areas around it. You could remove the rock and add metal edge and grow a ground cover instead. Brian
    Last edited by Brian Runau; 03-28-2024 at 9:45 PM.
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Fabric weed block down below, Preen to keep seeds from germinating in whatever you put in to fill the area and a vinegar/epson-salt/Dawn mixture to kill things that grow safely. (no need for "Roundup")
    I would know more of this "vinegar/epson-salt/Dawn mixture" you speak of . I have moved varmints along with minimally impactive treatments and would love to deal with the gravel area in a similar way. Can you please give ratios? We use old vinegar to kill weeds but it just kills what is exposed. Always open to trying new things.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are companies in Southern California that will come out and paint your gravel when it gets old and dusty. Some will also paint your dead dry lawn bright green.
    Photo is a house in S. California that the owners like a sports team. Can you guess which one?
    Bill D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-29-2024 at 12:12 AM.

Would preen cause problems later with planting trees or a vegetable garden?
    Preen prevents seed germination. I do not know if it will adversely affect putting actual plants in the ground...I suspect not, but it would be a good idea to check. BTW, Preen is currently on sale at Costco.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I would know more of this "vinegar/epson-salt/Dawn mixture" you speak of . I have moved varmints along with minimally impactive treatments and would love to deal with the gravel area in a similar way. Can you please give ratios? We use old vinegar to kill weeds but it just kills what is exposed. Always open to trying new things.
    There are lots of recipes you can find online, but in general, one gallon of white vinegar (higher concentration even better), one cup of epson salt and a tablespoon of Dawn dish soap, mixed well makes for an environmentally safe herbicide for most weeds and grasses. I use a pump up spray applicator. I will only use glyphosate (RoundUp) on something serious like poison ivy. On a patio or other stone surface, I also use a flame-weeder torch. Between the torch and the vinegar solution...pretty good results.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For people recommending not to use weed block fabric, what's the alternative? I agree, dirt gets under the rocks and some weeds penetrate the fabric, but still better than nothing, isn't it?

BTW, just noticed today at my Lowe's industrial strength (30%) vinegar in cleaning supplies. I had not seen that before.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Along m fence lines I use a product called barrier kills weeds and small tree for up to 4 years

Those are both chemicals.
    So are oxygen and salt. You could do what the Amish do around here, spend two hours a day weeding. Every day.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Preen prevents seed germination. I do not know if it will adversely affect putting actual plants in the ground...I suspect not, but it would be a good idea to check. BTW, Preen is currently on sale at Costco.
    I cover my beds with preen every spring @ 32lbs before my landscaping guy mulches then I plant annuals afterwards. . 24 yards of mulch this year,, I have a landscaping addiction. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    For people recommending not to use weed block fabric, what's the alternative? I agree, dirt gets under the rocks and some weeds penetrate the fabric, but still better than nothing, isn't it?

BTW, just noticed today at my Lowe's industrial strength (30%) vinegar in cleaning supplies. I had not seen that before.
    On a new bed, chemicals to kill grass and plant then mulch or paper under the mulch to kill grass and weeds. Mulch on top of landscape fabric composts into dirt which let's weed grow. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    So are oxygen and salt. You could do what the Amish do around here, spend two hours a day weeding. Every day.
    Hemlock is also a chemical. So yeah, as I stated, I'm concerned using herbicides might cause problems in the future when I plant trees and a vegetable garden. The Amish tend to be very resourceful. I'm surprised they haven't developed some kind of natural weed killer. But I supposed pulling weeds every day would work. That doesn't work for me.

Hemlock is also a chemical. So yeah, as I stated, I'm concerned using herbicides might cause problems in the future when I plant trees and a vegetable garden. The Amish tend to be very resourceful. I'm surprised they haven't developed some kind of natural weed killer. But I supposed pulling weeds every day would work. That doesn't work for me.
    That is why they have a lot of kids.

I can no longer find any videos but last summer Califonia was testing a brush/grass burning machine. Towed behind a bulldozer it rolls over and burns man sized brush and makes almost no smoke.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    That is why they have a lot of kids.
    Little goats or something else?
    Bill D