Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 8" Jointer outfeed table and table lip

Delta 8" Jointer outfeed table and table lip

Sometimes the piece I am jointing will stop when it gets to where the table lip meets the outfeed table. I can see a slight difference in height where they meet. (they are exactly the same height on the infeed).

How do I get at the bolts that hold the table lip to the outfeed table? Do I have to remove the cutter head or can I get the outfeed table off the machine?

Does anyone have a suggestion of how to fix this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are getting good cuts that makes a good joint between two boards? Beds are coplanar? You might try putting a block of wood on the aluminum part and tap with a hammer to see if it moves. If not, I think you can move the stop that limits the travel of the table and possibly get at the bolts then. Removing the cutter head is not a big deal, just take off the belt and remove the two bolts that pull the bearing caps into the machine.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-27-2024 at 4:58 PM.

drop the infeed table as low as it goes and hopefully you can get at the allen head screws that hold the aluminum on and allow you to move or adjust them. I dont know your model but going by SCM stuff

I don't think you can access them without removing the cutterhead. You can try Richards suggestion. Move the fence to the middle so you can get at both ends. Use a piece of maple or similar tight grained wood and give it a rap. No harm in trying. There are only two Allen head bolts securing them as I recall.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 03-27-2024 at 6:27 PM.

It sounds like the aluminum part is too low already, so one would need to hit up on it, not down.

Looks like there are three screws. Lowering the outfeed table all the way might allow access.

Sounds like it is too low. Do not try to pry it up by resting a pry bar on the infeed side. You risk getting that side off as well. I suppose you could put a hunk of 2x4 on the iron only part of the infeed table and use that as a fulcrum to try gently to lift the outfeed aluminum edging nose piece.
    BillD

Before adjusting ask was it always this way? What happened to change it. Check it with a good straight edge. Is it coplanar with the other two tables or is it tipped down left to right.
    Is it the same amount front and back? That seems unlikely.
    BillD

possible that someone had the out feed table high to make “spring joints “ . When that is being done you need to first joint the board
    ‘regular way’ ,then raise outfeed table a hair . That makes a slightly too high table that is hit by the board being cut . Best thing to do is take two boards about 4 feet long , joint them and and put them together and hold them in a bright lite . if you see a light at middle and
    Not at the ends ….then that is certainly the problem . When making spring joints, I bang the end of the board on the table so the work
    can ‘ramp up’. AND there are CERTAINLY others here who know all this , but No One wants to make a mistake ,so they just hope
    someone else will Wright it up !!
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 03-27-2024 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Before adjusting ask was it always this way? What happened to change it. Check it with a good straight edge. Is it coplanar with the other two tables or is it tipped down left to right.
    Is it the same amount front and back? That seems unlikely.
    BillD

I recently bougth this jointer and it has had this problem since I acquired it. The infeed and outfeed are coplanar and the table lip is about .015 below the outfeed table at both the inboard and outboard ends.

Noteworthy is that the table lips show wear on the outboard ends; the gap between the infeed and outfeed table lips is 1/4" wider at the outboard end. I imagine the table lips wear more on the fence side than the outboard ends which indicates the lips were chaged at some point.

With all the good suggestions that have been made I'll try dropping the outfeed table as low as possible and see if I can access the screws; if not I'll remove the cutterhead.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Glad to hear it is not at an angle. No shimming required. Of course thre may be shims under it now. I recommend do not remove it all the way, in case there are any shims to get lost, just loosen the bolts and tap it a bit.
    BillD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Glad to hear it is not at an angle. No shimming required. Of course thre may be shims under it now. I recommend do not remove it all the way, in case there are any shims to get lost, just loosen the bolts and tap it a bit.
    BillD
    It's a DJ-20 parallelogram jointer so no shimming to be done. I'm pretty sure you can only access them by removing the cutterhead. Good opportunity to add a helical head. Cameron is correct that there are three screws. I didn't remember and had to look at the parts break down. I really don't know what the benefit to having them below the in and outfeed tables would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    It's a DJ-20 parallelogram jointer so no shimming to be done.
    I meant shimming to get the nose piece coplaner with the tabletop. Once all this gets sorted out the knives may need to be adjusted parallel to the noses.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-28-2024 at 8:22 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I am nervous about taking the cutter head off. It looks that I loosen the belt, take the rabbeting ledge off, take the hex screws out of the bearing blocks and the cutterhead can be removed towards the front.

Is there any adjustment when I replace it or does so I just reverse the procedure?

Is there any adjustment when I replace it or does so I just reverse the procedure?[/QUOTE]

Just reverse the removal procedure. The head weighs several pounds so be careful. I don't recall anything unusual or special that I had to do. I removed to change the cutterhead.

There is a chance of shims under the bearings to level the head, unlikely.
    Bill D