Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool tracksaw t75 just stopped working mid cut

I read the original post and my immediate thought was "check the brushes". Classic symptom. I note Brian also said this. We are the two greatest minds here, so do it!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    Does the T75 have a brushless motor?
    No. The TS75, even to this day, is a brushed motor. As both Brian and Derek mentioned, brushes would be the first thing I'd check. When it was introduced, it was pretty much the only game in town for larger depth capacity in a tracksaw. Mafell and maybe a few others have addressed this competitively at this point, however.

I have used Festool's service for out of warranty repair and didn't find the cost to be out of line, honestly. My 2005 era Rotex 150 wasn't running correctly. They literally rebuilt it for under half the cost of a new one and it's a beast. I was actually surprised when they told me the number before sending it back to me. A lot of tools are not even "fixable" these days...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Andrew that's got to be incredibly frustrating for you, as I know you're in business cutting wood.
    Let us know the upshot.

Before I’d guess it is a bad thermal overload device, I’d look pretty carefully at the power cord and the connectors on both ends. In general, connectors are more likely to fail than devices which are soldered on to circuit boards. And for a while, there was something buggy about the twist lock.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Is there any legitimate reason to get this fixed vs getting the makita version? I understand the festool thrusts the blade (via angled gear teeth) in one direction to make a better cut. I like that idea a lot.

But I'm also so over this brand. Thanks for the thermal overload that doesn't protect the motor I guess?

I can literally pull a saw out of my collection that my grandpa used and it still works but I guess a 750 dollar saw can't work for 6 years. I don't even use the thing that often
    Definitely get the Maikita.. I am so over festool as well. They really aren't the premium brand they claim to be. They are about average.
    Yes, the domino is cool and unique. All their other tools? Overpriced and not really that higher of quality.
    I have the makita, it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Question?

Were you using dust collection on it when it quit?

Per Swenson has a post here somewhere that said Festool track saws are designed so that the air flow from the dust collector cools the motor and without using the dust collector you risk ruining them .

Not sure this is accurate.

Festool sells collection bags as accessories for saws and those definitely don’t do anything to cool the motor. Would be curious they would sell an accessory that would be harmful to their product.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Koenigs View Post
    Definitely get the Maikita.. I am so over festool as well. They really aren't the premium brand they claim to be. They are about average.
    Yes, the domino is cool and unique. All their other tools? Overpriced and not really that higher of quality.
    I have the makita, it works great.
    I've narrowed down what I like from festool's offerings to their routers, impact driver, drill, multitool and their dust extractors. The routers are very well built and their battery powered drill and driver have really stood up to hard use in my experience.

I have their trim router and the of1400 and I think both are excellent. I bought the OF1400 at least 15 years ago, or so. Given the choice today, I would wait until the Mafell LO55 arrives in the US, they included all of the things that Festool has failed to update, namely LED lights. It baffles me that Festool doesn't put LED lights on their routers.

For circular saws, after going to Mafell I have not looked back. I can rip 3" thick material with the Mafell in one pass, it doesn't struggle, it doesn't overheat and stop cutting....etc. It just cuts and keeps on cutting. It also has all of the options available to it, so I got a crosscut track and attached it without needing to purchase an additional separate saw.

Festool's main point of annoyance is that they seem to design everything in a way that it requires you to buy endless $50-$100 accessories that should be part of the original tool kit in may opinion.

I have an MFT table that I bought for job sites. To be even reasonably sturdy it required two sets ($150) of struts. The dang struts have PLASTIC ends, one of which snapped off within no time and of course they are not ready to send you a replacement, they direct you to your website so you can waste your afternoon hunting down some plastic piece of junk.

The MFT is better than other job site tables, but I feel it should be rock solid and not have a bunch of plastic crap that fails in repeated use.

I also made the mistake of buying their roller cart for the toolboxes. What a piece of garbage, the entire thing is plastic and so if you actually pull it in and out of vans, or up and down stairs, the thing just doesn't hold up as advertised. I'm not sure why they can't offer a lightweight aluminum or steel cart that can survive actual use on job sites without falling to pieces.

While I'm ranting....the vacuums need larger rubber tired casters. Their back wheels are great, the front wheels should be identical but with the ability to swivel. Dragging the thing around the shop, it's fine. Drag it around a worksite and it stops on everything, falls into every crack in the floor, etc.

Mafell includes a lot of the accessories in the package so that you aren't required to buy endless little bits and bobs to use the tool.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 04-02-2024 at 9:24 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the replies. I haven't had time to look at the saw yet. I will check the brushes when my schedule dies down (ha!).

I'm not sure how emotional (angry, frustrated, etc) my post came off as, but I've been dealing with a customer that has been change ordering me to death which has me behind in two other important projects so I'm just sort of ready for a break. I think this last weekend was the first weekend I "pretty much" took the weekend off in like 2 to 3 weeks. This along with having an extremely high "hard on myself" attribute makes me grumpy at times. : )

I appreciate all the replies and was genuinely surprised that most people had something of an agreement. I figured opening this thread finally (have been avoiding reading responses until today) would be lambasting me. So that's nice.

Thanks again and have a wonderful week! I'll get it figured out.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Not sure this is accurate.

Festool sells collection bags as accessories for saws and those definitely don’t do anything to cool the motor. Would be curious they would sell an accessory that would be harmful to their product.
    As I mentioned - I got the info from Per Swenson (you might recall him from here).
    I took his word for it since - at the time I bought my Festool TS55EQ, I'm not sure Festool even offered DC bags.
    Oh well neither here nor there for me since I sold my TS55EQ a few years ago and replaced it with a Makita cordless.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon