Thread: Advice sought for load bearing on walnut bookshelf.

Advice sought for load bearing on walnut bookshelf.

Gang,

I'm designing a bookshelf, and using Walnut on hand, I can make 8.5" shelves or 4/4 stock fitted into 4" vertical members of 8/4 stock. the joint will be interlocking, so there will be plenty of support for those first 4", but the remaining 4" will effectively have no support from the vertical members. I don't anticipate putting anything too heavy on the shelves. Books will be the worst of it. I *think* I'll be fine for that last 4" on the shelves, but I wondered what you thought. Rough sketches below
    CleanShot 2024-03-27 at 08.12.31@2x.jpgCleanShot 2024-03-27 at 08.12.49@2x.jpg

Yeah, you should be okay.

You might post a close-up of your proposed joinery.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 03-27-2024 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Yeah, you should be okay.

You might post a close-up of your proposed joinery.
    I haven't got that far in the drafting process. 3D Software is new to me. I've historically done this with a pencil and paper. But to visualize my intention … I'm going to cut a 1/4" deep dado in both sides and the front of the of the 8/4 vertical members. Then I'll cut essentially a big notch from the individual 4/4 shelves that will slide in under the dado. So the joint woiuld be interlocking but the shelf would also be stabilized and supported by the dados.

I hope that makes sense. Feedback on this would be welcomed.
    Last edited by David W Sparks; 03-28-2024 at 12:33 AM.

Also ... the whole structure will be bolted to joists in multiple locations/heights to hold it up and keep it stable.

Are you really ready to start cutting wood?

"Bolted to studs in multiple locations"? This seems like overkill. Assuming that it will stand on the floor it should only need a pair of connections at the top and maybe at the bottom. Furniture gets moved sometimes.

You are going to find out just how flat your walls are.

Make cutouts for the baseboard.

Unfortunately bookshelves usually become knickknack holders. It's a rare collection of books that looks good.

Make a plan for bookends.