Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are your tools dangerous?

Are your tools dangerous?

Do you consider tools as dangerous?
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...-can-kill-you/
    I came accross this article and it struck me, that I don't consider my tools as dangerous or not. To me it's just a tool. Sure, some tools can cause greater injury than others but I don't think about it like that. If I'm using the tablesaw, I take the appropriate action so I am comfortable with the cut. This is no different with whatever tool I'm using.
    The list made me laugh a bit as I own multiples of many of them.
    Also, I believe that it's ladders that cause the most injuries.
    https://porch.com/resource/most-dangerous-tools

I agree ed all tools can cause injury some more than others.but as you said respect the tool an always follow safe operating procedures.good post I think we all need to be reminded.

Blog Entries
    Getting out of bed in the morning can be dangerous, but then again staying in bed could also be dangerous as lots of people die in bed. We all take various levels of risk every day. If you are going to use a tool, whether it is a pencil, a table saw or a race car, you need to know how to properly use it to avoid injury. The most dangerous tool is the one you aren't using properly between your ears.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Being a turner, my favorite cautionary quote is: "other tools can maim you, your lathe can kill you" and this has happened along with very severe head injuries.
    A lathe looks like a pretty safe tool compared to something with spinning blades and cutters. High risk is usually by exploding blanks due to cracks or burls that have not easy to see cracks or the supporting wood gets turned away and the burl is only held together with convoluted bark. Centrifugal force is the problem so the pieces can fly in any direction.

I really asked because I constantly hear people saying "tablesaws are dangerous", I just don't look at it that way.
    Sure, I could do serious damage to myself if I don't pay attention to my tools.
    Anything can be dangerous. as I linked to, ladders cause more injuries than tablesaws by a mile.

From the list/s I linked to, I regularly use about 80-90% of the tools listed, apparently I'm just a danger junkie or have some sort of death wish or just like pain or something.
    IMO, tools need to be better understood, then respected, not simply irrationally feared.

A 6' stepladder worries me more than any power tool ever has. Over the years I have operated machines and tools from a D9 dozer to a 16" circular saw while hanging over the edge of a seawall and too many smaller tools to mention. It is still the 6' stepladder that scares me.

Blog Entries
    I have heard from several sources that woodworking tools are the most dangerous industrial machines, because of razor sharp blades traveling at very high speeds and unlimited availability.
    Best Regards, Maurice

When I was a framing carpenter, the most dangerous and most common dangerous tool was . . . .

The hammer.

No joke, the straight claw ones hit guys in the head. The 22oz waffle headed ones crushed fingers.
    Regards,

Tom

More people use ladders than tablesaws. I am not sure how you can argue that a tablesaw is not an inherently dangerous tool.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

As of 2 nights ago, the tool that has caused the only accidents I've encountered is the Drill Press!! Believe or not this tool has had 2 very close calls, both were caused by my stupidity. 99% of the time the reason a tool becomes dangerous is due to improper use. First lesson that I hear in the safety meeting at least once a year at work is wearing gloves with spinning equipment is so dumb! Second lesson, don't clean the debris off the drill bit with your finger while the drill press is still running!

.drill press glove wrapped.jpg

drill press glove flat.jpg

drill press glove and hand.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    More people use ladders than tablesaws. I am not sure how you can argue that a tablesaw is not an inherently dangerous tool.
    If you use the tool as it's designed to be used, it is not dangerous, IMO.
    When the operator does something he/she shouldn't, is usually problems occur. The wood sometimes contributes but most of the time it's humans.

I just don't view tools as dangerous or safe like some do.

I have a chainsaw with a three foot bar and an exacto knife, which one is more dangerous? which one have I cut myself with?

Everything in my shop can injure you in one way or another if used improperly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    If you use the tool as it's designed to be used, it is not dangerous, IMO.
    When the operator does something he/she shouldn't, is usually problems occur. The wood sometimes contributes but most of the time it's humans.

I just don't view tools as dangerous or safe like some do.

I have a chainsaw with a three foot bar and an exacto knife, which one is more dangerous? which one have I cut myself with?

Everything in my shop can injure you in one way or another if used improperly.
    Exactly. You just confirmed that it's inherently dangerous to operate. Like firearms, chainsaws, explosives, etc.

I do lots of inherently dangerous things. I just never blow off that they're dangerous. That, is a bad combination.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Yes obviously.... well kinda, but I'm working on it, and it'll not be getting wired up until then.
    SAM_8247.jpg!SAM_8881.jpgSAM_8283.jpg
    Lot's to do yet, getting closer to an overhead crown guard made, one that will actually work is my intention,
    (unlike some versions which seemingly don't offer the same protection, and can lift freely)
    Not got round to an outfeed, which I'll be trying to mount to the mobile saw.
    I'll probably have to make an infeed seperate.

Not got round to making a UK HSE spec fence system yet either, (see Roy Sutton's safe wood machining on YT)
    as I've not found an off the shelf extrusion, and those companies who have the capability
    of making such, will under no circumstances offer something which would make them lose a sale.

And not got round to making Shaw guards for trench cuts, (as also seen in Roy's video)
    but still overall, a lot easier job than what ye folks have to deal with, considering most old iron from the USA doesn't have a riving knife.

Go buy a new saw, some might say, but my old Startrite has a lot going for it, i.e a substantial cast iron table,
    compared to some of the newer offerings, which weigh a lot less, and as such, questionable how flat those tables will stay,
    or indeed how substantial of an insert one could fit, which is also a very important hidden feature of sorts.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 03-25-2024 at 6:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I really asked because I constantly hear people saying "tablesaws are dangerous", I just don't look at it that way.
    Someone said that to me...actually, several people have.
    My response: So are cars.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

we took down a 80 -90 foot spruce leaning back over a cottage last year. I worked ropes and cut up stuff up that was down already between him needing me on the ropes. When he was down we were talking and I told him I think a table saw is more dangerous than a chain saw he just stared at me blank.