Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Are your tools dangerous?

Warren, I think the noise from the extra projection comes from the distance to the chipbreaker being less. The noise comes from air compressing and decompressing as the knives pass the chipbreaker, similar to tires. Tire companies recognized this and that is why truck tires are so much quieter now. I experimented on an old Delta I had moving the chipbreaker in really close to the knives and it sounded like a siren. With the Tersa's unique gullet design there is very little air trapped and I suspect that is where the quiet comes from.

thanks Larry makes sense, it was not major, the cut quality decreasing was relevant and not major but heard a different sound. its interesting that I found a number and its the same as what they have for added safety. I think I went lower and it was loading up more. Too long ago to remember. I stick all the time to that number. Also easy as its one full rotation of the dial.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-05-2024 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    How many folks here remember this? I first saw posted in the ET shop (electronics) when I was in the Navy.

ACHTUNG!

Das machine is nicht fur gerfingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der Sprinngwerk, blowenfusen und
    poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das Dummkopfen.
    Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das Pockets, relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights...
    It hangs in my shop, a present from a German company owner I worked for.

Regards, Rod

This is why I rarely turn. Not because I am afraid of the machine. I am just unable to enjoy it due to the anxiety of having a catch as you get closer and closer to the final product. It's not so much worrying about getting hurt but rather loosing all the work you put in. LOL With that said if the lathe was powerful enough to literally wrap you around the part being turned. Then I probably would be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Being a turner, my favorite cautionary quote is: "other tools can maim you, your lathe can kill you" and this has happened along with very severe head injuries.
    A lathe looks like a pretty safe tool compared to something with spinning blades and cutters. High risk is usually by exploding blanks due to cracks or burls that have not easy to see cracks or the supporting wood gets turned away and the burl is only held together with convoluted bark. Centrifugal force is the problem so the pieces can fly in any direction.

Automobiles are dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I really asked because I constantly hear people saying "tablesaws are dangerous", I just don't look at it that way.
    Sure, I could do serious damage to myself if I don't pay attention to my tools.
    Anything can be dangerous. as I linked to, ladders cause more injuries than tablesaws by a mile.

From the list/s I linked to, I regularly use about 80-90% of the tools listed, apparently I'm just a danger junkie or have some sort of death wish or just like pain or something.
    IMO, tools need to be better understood, then respected, not simply irrationally feared.

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    This is why I rarely turn. Not because I am afraid of the machine. I am just unable to enjoy it due to the anxiety of having a catch as you get closer and closer to the final product. It's not so much worrying about getting hurt but rather loosing all the work you put in. LOL With that said if the lathe was powerful enough to literally wrap you around the part being turned. Then I probably would be afraid.
    Losing the work you've put into it is how view routers . Really bugged me watching router-based TV shows years ago when they'd zip the thing around with no issues at all which didn't seem to align with my experience.
    Instances of turners being wrapped around the workpiece are typically related to loose clothing getting caught resulting is some serious injuries.

done tons of work with routers not had issues with them. Snapped some bits pushing too hard, operator error.

Seems like a thread about semantics more than woodworking. Next time consider running a poll format.
    "Are your tools dangerous yes/no"?
    Remove the obfuscation, and I think the votes will come in overwhelmingly on one side. But would the results make anyone smarter?

Blog Entries
    Perhaps consider instead ‘are your methods and practices dangerous’.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Edwin, I think you and Brian are correct, I could have worded the question better but I fear none of it would make a difference.
    In gross generalizations
    Some who responded simply didn't get what I was trying to reveal.
    Others refuse to believe that their methods are more of a danger than the tool being used.
    And yet others seem to think that adding "safety" features to a tool absolve them of responsibility.

The entire point is that the tool does what you make it do, you're the operator, you're the one in control, at least you should be. Getting a tool that stops the blade or shuts off or whatever, doesn't solve the underlying issue of what cause the accident.
    It's exceedingly difficult to encourage people to work safely when they project their mistakes onto the tool.

Of course there are variables but there are with everything we do.

As for semantics, I believe words matter.
    Did the saw cut his finger? OR Did he cut his finger on the saw?
    There is a difference, maybe not to his finger but in how the injury is characterized.

Please pay attention ans work safe

Blog Entries
    I saw this at a coffee shop & thought of this thread.

IMG_20240412_114854661~2.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I saw this at a coffee shop & thought of this thread.

IMG_20240412_114854661~2.jpg
    Thanks Maurice, I love it

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    I often think about that with every project I do - more furniture than turning. As the project develops you have more and more time and effort invested in it. A mistake (such as cut something too short) at the beginning of the project generally means getting a new piece of wood and starting over. A mistake towards the end of the project will ruin a lot of time and supplies invested. And make you question whether you want to do it all over again.

I try to do things that I might mess up on early in the project.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.