Thread: Minwax Wipe-on Poly vs Arm-R-Seal

Minwax Wipe-on Poly vs Arm-R-Seal

My go to finish for my woodturnings for years has been Minwax Wipe On poly (solvent based not the water based). But within the last year or so Minwax changed the can label design. They also must have changed the formula. I don't get the consistent results I used to get with the older looking labeled can.

Arm-R-Seal is supposed to be a urethane wipe on top coat. It's way more expensive than Minwax.

Has anyone had experience with Arm-R-Seal? Has anyone compares the two side by side?

Arm R Seal is a better product IMHO. I experience it to be more durable. It applies about as easily as Minwax's wipe on poly.

Your other option is to purchase full strength Minwax polyurethane and thin it 25-50% with mineral spirits.

Two more options for your consideration:

Waterlox Original Sealer Finish (Original formulation). Phenolic resin wipe on varnish. Darker than AS or MWOP. I find it is excellent for this reason on walnut and cherry.
    Rubio Monocoat or Osmo Polyx. These have gained popularity in the past couple years. They are "hard wax oils" (not fully sure what this means). But they have very low odor, and they only need 1 or two coats. They are not as durable as the varnishes above, but for a turning it may not be an issue. I love these for their ease of application. Not appropriate for a gloss build.

Yep, ARS is expensive, Waterlox OSF even more so. I think Prashun's recommendation to buy Minwax full strength poly and then thin it until you like how it behaves might be the most cost effective option and give you the same look as with the wipe on version. You probably could buy anyone's poly varnish, for that matter, and do the same.

ARS is very light in color and won't age nearly as much as Minwax poly. Great product, however. If you do try it, be sure to fill the can with Bloxygen after each use or transfer it into a Stoploss bag because it will gel in a hurry if much air gets to it.

John

I agree with the above.
    For turnings, I often use GF Salad Bowl Finish, Now it Called Wood Bowl Finish
    https://generalfinishes.com/wood-fin...od-bowl-finish

I have used successfully Minwax fast drying polyurethane for years including the last year. I apply it with a sponge brush and/or wiping it on with a rag without cutting/thinning it with mineral spirits.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....