Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fine Sawdust

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that rubbing a dryer sheet on your lenses is supposed to help keep the sawdust off.
    Don't do this if your lenses are plastic. The dryer sheet will scratch them. I used a dryer sheet on my face shield and it pretty much ruined the plastic with scratches.

Bausch & Lomb Savers FogShield XP® Pre-Moistened Lens Cleaning Tissues provides some anti-static protection.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-25-2024 at 11:30 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I wouldn't use dryer sheets they contain fabric softner in them which will cling to the lens. That said a dryer sheet with fabric softner and a little water is great for removing bugs off of cars and headlights.

A big fan is pretty good at getting rid of dust. I put it behind me on my shop porch to send the dust away from me.

A face shield is probably your best bet. Or maybe a strong fan to blow the sawdust away from you.

Or buy a Festool router that has better dust collection.

Anything that coats your lenses enough to keep sawdust from sticking to it, is probably going to obstruct your vision more than the sawdust would. I wouldn't think antistatic anything would help against sawdust. I mean, and induction motor is pretty much an antistatic generator (it creates an alternating EMF around it which is generally the most effective means of eliminating static buildup), and they get covered in sawdust. Which leads me to believe that it's not a static issue.

Part of my routine is removing my glasses and blasting them with the blow gun connected to my air compressor.

Darned annoying isn't it!

I have the same annoyance with fine dust. I haven't looked for a remedy; I just wipe them off with my fingers when needed.

I'm amazed at how much grief you got about fine dust killing you, yet many folks think nothing of running their tablesaw w/o a guard nor even a splitter.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    And if it's getting on your glasses, it's going in your nose. Once in your lungs, the super fines pass through to your blood and end up in your kidneys and liver. That's the serious damage!
    I won't argue that what you say is not technically true, but the part about getting into the blood and then the liver is a stretch, for sawdust. A particle needs to be less than .1 micron or so in diameter to pass through the lungs into the bloodstream. Neither abrasive (sanding) or cutting (as with the OP's question) generates wood particles that small, so unless you're actually burning the wood out with your bits (smoke does create a lot of submicrometer particulates), that's not the big concern. The danger from wood dust really is to the lungs - pulmonary fibrosis caused by particulate matter in sizes in the 1 - 10 micron range. That's also what is on the OP's glasses - something small enough to pass into the blood stream would have to deposit a lot of dust on lenses even to be noticable, and if you had that much suspended in the air, you'd feel like you're in a smoke filled room.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    The dust is from routing. There is no effective dust collection for hand held routing. I tried one designed for the router and there was no real difference than not using the device without it.
    I don't agree with this statement. They make attachments for some routers to connect to dust collection. My makita hand trimmer router works great with the attached dust collector.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

The attachment designed for the Bosch router I am using is not effective in spoil board routing period. I will give it a go next time I use it for another application.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    What is an effective product to stop/reduce sawdust from building up on ones eye glasses? I have tries a couple of products in the past but they weren't worth the money.

Than you.
    Proper dust collection at the source?

Regards, Rod

I am using a router sled to remove and flatten wood from board too wide for my 8'' jointer. This removes copious amounts of wood. The accessory for sucking up the sawdust is specifically for my Bosch plunge router and it does, for all intent and purposes, does not work.
    I am going to have a go with RainX or Armoral when I get back into the shop.
    The accessory may well work with other type router applications.
    Thank you.