Thread: Need Camera Recommendation for DIY Visualizer

Need Camera Recommendation for DIY Visualizer

I realize this may be an old topic, but I am having no luck finding specific recommendations for a camera for a DIY Trent Bosch Type Visualizer. I plan on hooking it up directly to a monitor, and not a computer or tablet. Hoping that someone who has set this up recently can share what they've done that works for them- Thanks!

I used an older version Swann camera - the nice thing about these cameras is that the lens is of a more ‘normal’ length instead of the wide angle lenses often used for survelliance or those used as inspection cameras for pipes etc. Hooked directly to a small monitor it works great and if you google it or check eBay, they can be had very inexpensively. The lens is actually focusable rather than fixed focus.
    4851ECA3-6A75-4FA4-9E24-E68914E2A995.jpg9F7216FB-D70D-4182-9F48-7DF99F74E4C6.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey J Smith; 03-24-2024 at 1:02 PM.

I built mine a long time ago, but this camera is very similar. The one I bought fit right into the Jamieson laser holder. $11 https://www.ebay.com/itm/39324592366...Bk9SR6rRy6TOYw
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-25-2024 at 1:08 PM.

I'm curious what is this being used for? Does it have to do with hollowing out vases or such? Thanks, Jim

Yes to your question James. A replacement for the laser pointer design.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I built mine a long time ago, but this camera is very similar. The one I bought fit right into the Jamieson laser holder. $11 https://www.ebay.com/itm/39324592366...Bk9SR6rRy6TOYw

do you know if this camera will connect to a Tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nix View Post
    I plugged mine into an ancient lap top.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nix View Post
    Mine is directly connected to a small monitor - believe it is a 9” monitor sold for use as a backup monitor for cars. Could certainly be used with any monitor with the proper connection hardware.

It's hard to make a specific recommendation because the products available change very quickly, though they are all basically the same. I used a "bullet" or "spy" camera from Amazon with a small tube shape that fit directly in the laser holder, hooked to a screen intended as an aftermarket backup camera. It connects with an old-fashioned video connector-- looks like an RCA jack audio cable, usually yellow. Neither of the cameras I bought are still available. The one I now use had an add-on zoom lens available that allowed me to get the exact picture I wanted; both pieces together ran about $40, IIRC. Most of these cameras have very wide angle lenses, which is bad for this application. Look for the narrowest one you can find.

Not really my place to jump in here but that camera/endescope has a usb connection and as a result I would doubt it would plug into a TV. I use and old TV 21" and it has the three color red/yellow/green inputs and I use only one of them. Not sure which one at the moment but I could check.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .