Thread: MLCS- HT now

MLCS- HT now

I have a cast iron MLCS wing for my Delta table saw, never installed a router.

Looks like HValley Tools is MLCS now.

I'm a hobbyist so not looking for power lift. Is the MLCS lift a good option?

Will start with a 690 PC router.

The PC 690 is not the tool it used to be. Most use Bosch now.

The most important factors for a lift that goes in your cast iron table are 1) it's sized to fit in the opening and 2) it's supportive of the router(s) you intend to use with the lift. I do have to agree with Richard that you will be better served in a router table setup with a more robust router motor than the old PC 690 which is great for hand-held work, good for small tooling in the table, but not well suited to some of the larger tooling you might want to use in the table. But it will certainly work if that's where you need to start. The caveat here is that more robust router motors have different diameters than the smaller PC 690, so changing later requires that the lift you invest in be capable of supporting the larger motors. Sometimes that's done with sleeves that go in for the smaller motors "now" and those are not used if you move to a 15 amp motor later.

-----

I mentioned recently that Eagle Tools/MSLS is now HV Tools (Huntingdon Valley/Southampton PA) and hopefully they will stay strong that way. I have not visited the new facility, but will likely do so at some point just to do a lookie-loo.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-24-2024 at 10:12 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    -----

I mentioned recently that Eagle Tools/MSLS is now HV Tools (Huntingdon Valley/Southampton PA) and hopefully they will stay strong that way. I have not visited the new facility, but will likely do so at some point just to do a lookie-loo.
    Did HV Tools not set mlcswoodworking.com to forward to HVtools.com? When I type mlcswoodworking.com the request seems to disappear. When I type "hvtools.com" I get "This domain is suspended due to incomplete WhoIs verification." For a company that is primarily a mail order firm, I would hope they are aware of any connectivity issues.

https://www.hvalleytools.com/ - is the correct address.

I went with a JessEm Rout R Lift II - which fits both my PC 690 and my Bosch 1617 EV.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 03-24-2024 at 12:24 PM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Did HV Tools not set mlcswoodworking.com to forward to HVtools.com? When I type mlcswoodworking.com the request seems to disappear. When I type "hvtools.com" I get "This domain is suspended due to incomplete WhoIs verification." For a company that is primarily a mail order firm, I would hope they are aware of any connectivity issues.
    No clue about how all this came about. I just noticed a while back when there was another discussion here that "things were different". It's been a couple decades since I visited them and I don't recall if I've bought anything either. Rich did just provide the correct URL.
    --

Blog Entries
    As you have discovered, when you buy your cast iron router wing or table you have set the dimensions and corner radii of your usable plates or lifts. I agree that a lift for a larger motor with sleeves makes sense as a PC 690 can almost be used one-handed and many table tasks will exceed that motor. If you have room to grow in your lift if-and-when that time comes, you can still use the same lift. If the time never comes it is still cheap insurance to scale the lift now as opposed to fork-lifting it later.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks guys, The MLCS lift needs a sleeve for small motors. Was wondering if MLCS lift is the way to go or sawstop, JessEm, etc..

https://www.hvalleytools.com/category/router-lifts

Quote Originally Posted by rich jackson View Post
    Thanks guys, The MLCS lift needs a sleeve for small motors. Was wondering if MLCS lift is the way to go or sawstop, JessEm, etc..

https://www.hvalleytools.com/category/router-lifts
    Woodpecker or Jessem are the way to go.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by rich jackson View Post
    If they will fit in the cast iron table, then they are worth considering for the various features they offer. Anything that will not fit the opening dimensions for both size, corner radius and thickness comes off your list.
    --

looks like mlcs is proprietary size insert