Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cope and stick micro shaker?

David, I really like your idea of a groove profile paired with a rabbet on what I assume would be the backside of the panel. Post pictures once you get into it if you have time.

Yes, the rebate and groove sounds like a good idea.

waltzcraft makes those doors, saw them in a past flyer. have to look up what they look like in a kitchen application.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    John, I would picture a section something like this. Glue and clamp with PVA double coating the ply. Would be plenty strong.

Attachment 517511
    Sometimes I do doors with a bead that way. Square M&T doors with a wrap. No issues. Sometimes I put the bead on the door rather than the face frame to gain that little bit of drawer space and still keep my proportions right.

the architect came back and wants only 1/2" visible on the face. my gut feel is to do a cutter approximating this - again, i really want to cut the intersection of the frame and the panel so that the finish doesn't bridge.

micro_shaker.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Chris Becksvoort's Shaker Legacy is a good reference for variations in traditional Shaker cabinetwork,
    Thanks Kevin Jenness! the Shaker Legacy is a remarkable book. I have looked at all of the pictures and read a few paragraphs. I had previously read about the Shakers utopian philosophy and wisdom concerning Women's rights and Civil Rights. They really nailed it on many levels. It is too bad their philosophy also makes them destined to become extinct.
    I learned from the book that the doors, windows, rake, and some other artifacts at my inlaws summer camp near Enfield NH are made by or are copies of the produce of the Enfield Shakers.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    I finished the book. I was brought up by Post-Puritans and married a Post-Puritan young lady. The fact that 4 of the Shaker Gatherings went on to become prisons and / or correctional institutions resonates in a dark, ironic, and rather confusing way. I liked the authors take on the tapered drawer sides. I wish I could see the end grain in the image where he proposes that off cuts of clapboard siding were used. When quarter sawn clapboards are "gotten out" in the most thrifty way they are naturally tapered.

Blog Entries
    The "Dark Day" is an interesting bit of Shaker history. This article tells more of the story.

https://www.shakermuseum.us/sun-not-appear-dark-day
    Best Regards, Maurice