Thread: 10 1/4 circular saw recommendations

10 1/4 circular saw recommendations

I'm looking for a new 10 1/4 circular saw. I've looked at Makita 5104, Milwaukee 6470-21, Bigfoot SBFX BF, and the Skill SPT70WM-22 I have read/watched just about everything I could find on these saws and have narrowed it down to the

Milwaukee vs the Bigfoot.

I understand the one is a sidewinder and one is built on a mag77 worm saw. Im fine with either left or right side blade. I've also narrowed it down to these two giving the deepest cuts at 90 degrees.

Any recommendations or experience with either of these two saws would be of help in making a decision.

Thanks

I'm sure they're all fine. Just pick the one that seems right for you. I have a Milwaukee because I'm very comfortable with sidewinder circular saws. My biggest use for it is cutting off tops of 4x fence posts and I'd rather use a sidewinder going from right to left with the blade on top.

I would vote for the Milwaukee.
    The Milwaukee saws I own are the smoothest running I've used, Though I've not used a Big Foot.
    I do have a Makita 5402 that works well but that's bigger than you're looking for.

Personally, as a worm drive user I'd get the Skil, but the Milwaukee comes with a case- good for something that is not used all the time.

I am a part time timberframer and know lots of timberframers, follow lots of timberframers and engage in a lot of forums where this discussion comes up a lot. Nobody uses the Milwaukee saws, but plenty use the skil either normal wormdrive or the BigFoot. Second is the Makita, though I did not like mine. The 10 1/4" saw is the most used saw in TF so lots of experience there in the TF world.
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Blog Entries
    I don't use mine a lot but mine is a skilsaw and it works great. Sturdy and no complaints
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    I am a part time timberframer and know lots of timberframers, follow lots of timberframers and engage in a lot of forums where this discussion comes up a lot. Nobody uses the Milwaukee saws, but plenty use the skil either normal wormdrive or the BigFoot. Second is the Makita, though I did not like mine. The 10 1/4" saw is the most used saw in TF so lots of experience there in the TF world.
    If i might ask, what have you heard negative about the 10 1/4" Milwaukee

I have the 16" version of the skil, and i personally prefer the blade orientation on wormdrive saws. A lefthand blade makes the cut much more visible for a right-handed user. I dont know that ive seen a sidewinder that wasnt a right hand blade, which means you have to lean over the saw to view your cut line. This typically puts your face/eyeballs right in the line of the of sawdust. The skil does appear to be a decent amount more expensive, if that matters to you.

I know Milwaukee makes a 7 1/4" sidewinder with left blade (I have one) but not the 10 1/4
    I'm sure the OP has seen this but if others are interested.
    https://timberframehq.com/best-10-inch-circular-saw/

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    If i might ask, what have you heard negative about the 10 1/4" Milwaukee
    Nothing at all actually, I just know it is very very rarely used. I've seen timberframers with them, but just very rarely. Milwaukee is a known brand, one everyone is familiar with so I'd just be wondering if there was a reason it wasn't adopted so much in tye timberframing world despite equal opportunity to be so.
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    Nothing at all actually, I just know it is very very rarely used. I've seen timberframers with them, but just very rarely. Milwaukee is a known brand, one everyone is familiar with so I'd just be wondering if there was a reason it wasn't adopted so much in tye timberframing world despite equal opportunity to be so.
    Thanks for responding, I do find it interesting.

I have the Bigfoot that I use for timber framing. Good simple saw built on a proven platform and I have no complaints. I’m just used to the blade on the left so the Milwaukee would really annoy me, but that’s just me!

I used to do quite a bit of timber framing full time and own a Makita 5104 and really like it. Made in Japan, simple, heavy nice weight / build to it. I've also have used the other, newer model Makita 10 1/4 - HSO600. It's also good, though for some reason I prefer the 5104.

I don't really like Milwaukee saws or ergonomics but that's a personal thing. I have used the 10 1/4 MIL and it was a rougher saw than the Makitas in my experience.

No personal experience with larger format Skils / Bigfoot but I hear they are nice.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 03-24-2024 at 4:07 PM.
    Still waters run deep.