Thread: Sliding table bandsaw (a BIG one)

Sliding table bandsaw (a BIG one)

I know some folks put a sliding table on the side of their bandsaws, but this is something else: https://www.felder-group.com/en-ca/p...y-line-p584311

My local lumber supplier apparently has the first one in the US, and is using it for squaring up the ends of 16x16" blocks.

That is a dream machine.

I can't believe the thickness of the blade. The specs say it can handle up to a 3.5" (90mm) blade.
    Makes my FB710 look like a wimp.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I swear one of those sold at auction in Oregon/Washington a year ago. If i remember correctly, a tech company had a bunch of new never used machines and the Felder sliding bandsaw was one of them. I think it sold at a steal of a price, but the voltage was funky.

Ive seen massive bandsaws with 40"+ throats with very large sliding tables, but they were primarily designed for cutting foam/plastics. Not sure how well they would transition to woodworking purposes.

Yeah, but I'm not sure whether I'd call it a high end band saw or a very high quality, small capacity sawmill.

That is a big boy. I'm a little surprised they used aluminum extrusions and what look like pretty small bearings on the sliding table, however. That might not take kindly to a big block of wood being dropped on it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That is a big boy. I'm a little surprised they used aluminum extrusions and what look like pretty small bearings on the sliding table, however. That might not take kindly to a big block of wood being dropped on it.

John
    This is my primary issue with tools designed with large capacities. The workpiece can quickly overwhelm the tool/operator even though on paper it can technically make the cut. Reading the material on Felder's site, it sounds like these bandsaws are more for aluminum window manufacturers, SIPs, and other composites. That is incredible the owner is sawing 16" by 16" beams, but it doesnt necessarily sound like that is the purpose Felder had in mind when producing the saw. Like John, i would feel guilty putting a 16x16x8'+ beam on that sliding table. Assuming it is going to be slightly green, that is a heavy piece of wood.

Apparently, the SW models support up to a 90mm blade. Anyone ever see a 3-1/2" wide bandsaw blade?!?!

Hope I’m not hijacking this thread but….
    It is a pity that no one has developed and marketed a good aftermarket bandsaw slider of some sort. I modified the Festool router table slider to my 18” bandsaw and I wouldn’t live without it. Mainly used for cutting green wood logs and turning blanks. Horribly overpriced but after years of frequent use it is still rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Apparently, the SW models support up to a 90mm blade. Anyone ever see a 3-1/2" wide bandsaw blade?!?!
    Large sawmills have blades about 2X that wide. And the little Hitachi resaw bandsaw has blades somewhere around 3" wide.

John

Gonna need a bigger shop.