Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Router Bit won’t budge.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Patty

I forget who it was but one of the cabinet bit set companies(I remember they were yellow, at least I think they were) had a video describing them and he installed a fat Oring in the router and dropped the corresponding bits on the oring and thightened there. His were made to swich back and forth from rail to style with out height acdjustment using this oring. He said it doubled as a way to break that lockup.
    I've seen that one too- it was the Sommerfeld guy. I haven't tried it yet but it seemed like a solid idea.

I've got a bit of rubber sawed off the tread of a farm tractor tire in mine. No doubt it isn't perfectly balanced, but the moment arm is so small, and the density of the material so modest, there isn't any consequence - the forces involved don't begin to compare to those the spindle feels every time a blade come's round the bend and slams into the next cut on a piece of good, hard, wood.

Fat O-ring
    That fat O-ring would indeed prevent the space ball from moving around.... improved "good idea"
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Patty

I forget who it was but one of the cabinet bit set companies(I remember they were yellow, at least I think they were) had a video describing them and he installed a fat Oring in the router and dropped the corresponding bits on the oring and thightened there. His were made to swich back and forth from rail to style with out height acdjustment using this oring. He said it doubled as a way to break that lockup.
    As mentioned - Sommerfeld.
    I got that idea from him after using his cabinet set.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Yup, Craig (as in Kreg Jig)Sommerfeld. He recommended a 1/2" grommet. I also have his router bits for cabinets and they work well.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Yup, Craig (as in Kreg Jig)Sommerfeld. He recommended a 1/2" grommet. I also have his router bits for cabinets and they work well.
    Sommerfeld Tools is Marc Sommerfeld--and using the o-ring as he suggests works great both for keeping bits from bottoming out and also for setting depth on the matched set bits he makes . Craig (as in Kreg Jigs) is brother to Marc. Talented family.

Oops. Knew the story, but lost track of the players.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I'm having trouble telling if the threads are part of the router bit or collet. I'm guessing the collet....

Get some thin angle iron from the hardware store. Drill a hole and machine screw through one end. Now you have a "V" with both pieces of angle facing up. Use that V on a vise and have it pinch between the bit and the collet. Then you can take a nail punch and tap on the collet. If the threads are part of the collet that won't work but you can then flip the bit/collet around and take a screwdriver and tap in the slit of the collet just a little. If you have a workbench with dog holes you could use that instead of a vise. I wouldn't tighten the angle too much either because technically they'll be on different planes. The slop should help compensate. Hope it works. I had a friend push a router bit all the way in and it was a bear to get out.

The other idea is similar. Put 2 nuts with a large washer between them. Put the lowest washer in a vise and use a screwdriver to pop the router bit out. You could also use the angle iron or aluminum angle V from above. Personally I'd use aluminum due to it's softness.
    Last edited by Daniel O'Neill; 03-26-2024 at 2:00 PM.

I think it is time to note that the OP never returned.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    I've seen that one too- it was the Sommerfeld guy. I haven't tried it yet but it seemed like a solid idea.
    That was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    That fat O-ring would indeed prevent the space ball from moving around.... improved "good idea"

The fat Oring would be used in place of the spaceball

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I think it is time to note that the OP never returned.
    Hes still in the shop trying to remove the bit

I thought the o-ring was on the shank of each and every bit.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    It sits below the router bit

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    More like a small plumbing washer than an o-ring. You know the type - the small - less than the size of a dime - little plumbing seat washers.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-10-Pa...Washer/3380002
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon