Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Router Bit won’t budge.

He just might be George.

Blog Entries
    Hi Connie,

Given how difficult this is to remove, I suspect the router bit may have spun in the collet, in which case, both items are trash.

If you can get it apart, inspect both for burrs.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I agree with Brian. Collets are "technically" disposables and one should never, ever use a collet that has or is suspected to have damage because it's an unsafe piece of tooling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Trash it. You're at the point, well probably past it, where you're likely to injure yourself in a fit of frustration and desperation. And, as noted, even if you do get them apart, they're probably damaged beyond repair at this point.

I had a router bit spin in a collet once. The collet was integral to the motor shaft (cheap router) and once I removed the bit by destructively opening the collet with a screwdriver, I was surprised at just how small of a burr it took to jam the whole thing up.

Luckily in this case it wouldn't require replacing the whole router, just the collet and but.

Yeah. I might try a mechanical repair place soon but I’m not even sure it’s worth it.

My collet unscrewed right out but I can’t screw it back in. I hope they can at the mechanical repair shop. No guarantees they’ll get it out though. It’s too bad though.

It's a $15 router bit. Put it in a vice and squeeze it good, then use piece of hardwood to drive off the collet, and find out if it is shot already. Let's get on with it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.