Thread: My new bandsaw, I hope...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    When I set up my shop I settled on QO panels and breakers. Still being made today and 50+ years worth of take outs for sale on e-bay. It was cheaper to buy a too big used loaded panel then to buy a new panel and the required number of new breakers.
    Bill D

Maurice, a lot of people have been confused by my instruments' relative size, even when they see them and me in person, especially with a fiddle.

Bill, I too went with a QO panel for the house, though I bought a new one. They seem to have been around a long time and have a good reputation.

For my tablesaw base I used some 2x4 rectangular tube and C-channel. Sure made it easy to attach casters and the saw base. Drill and tap a few holes or through bolts.
    BilLD

I had some time today and the weather was nice, so in the afternoon I dragged the angle iron out from under the woodshed, selected some suitable pieces and made a mobile base for the bandsaw. It's 3x3x1/4" on the sides, 3x3x3/16" angle on the back and 2x2x1/8" on the front. I cut short pieces of 3/4 pipe, about 1-3/8" long, for each caster and welded them on. Right now the casters are just stuck in them, but when I go to town I will get some m8 bolts and drill a hole in each pipe to allow a bolt to be threaded into the cross hole in the caster stems. I had to do some rocking and rolling to get the saw up onto the base, and some off-label floor jack methods, but it only took about half an hour to get it up there and a couple of hours to get the materials, make a plan and make the base. I have to weld outside because the shop has an OSB floor.

Earlier in the day I cleaned up the table, and found several deep, long scratches in the surface. They don't matter, but I wonder what made them. This evening I made a brass tapered pin to put in the table slot and cut a piece of 1/8" aluminum for a new throat plate, but I found that actually it has to be 3/32", so I will need to order a piece. I detached the whole old electrical works and will probably try to sell them on eBay. At least for now they are out of the way so I can install the new stuff once it comes. I got two bearings in Saturday's mail, one for the upper and one for the lower shaft, but the other 6 are supposed to be delivered tomorrow, if they all are on time. For now it's nice to be able to roll the saw around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two weeks later I finally got the saw running. I put the tires and bearings and blade in more than a week ago, but the tool box for the VFD enclosure was delayed 8 days from when it was expected to arrive, and finally showed up yesterday. I didn't have time to install things till today. I put it all together according to the idea in my mind and programmed the VFD, and everything worked fine, which was a great relief. I set it to start in 5 seconds, and to coast to a stop, and to use the toggle switch to control start/stop. I didn't have the right kind of cover to hold the toggle switch so I made one out of a cutout of leftover stainless steel sheet from the range hood I put in the house last fall. It doesn't match the color, but I am not worried about that. The brake works a bit, and slows the saw down a couple of seconds faster than when it just coasts. It cuts very nicely by my standards and passes the nickel test. I'm very pleased and will move the Parks out of the bandsaw spot and put this one in it tomorrow. The cord will run up and around the door, which is why I got a 25 foot piece of cable. That way I can also roll it out to the middle of the floor if I ever need to cut something 16 feet long.
    Attached Images Attached Images