Thread: Coffee table design opinions

Coffee table design opinions

I've built a couple side tables pictured below. No drawer in the coffee table. I have the leg template for the coffee table. Leg is 17" tall. Plan to build the table 50" long by 20" wide. Skirt height is planned at 4".

I don't want a bottom shelf on the coffee table, really didn't want anything, but I am concerned about the leg strength without holding them together underneath side to side and end to end. If I do anything it would probably be a 1-1/2" square stringer side to side between legs and the a single stringer tying these together end to end.

After I glue the legs to the skirt I plan to add screws from inside the skirt to secure the leg and hold it tight. Not sure if this is enough or I need to use the 1-1/2 stringers as mentioned.

Appreciate any advice.

Brian

Walnut side table.jpg
    Brian

I think your design will work without stringers or additional support. If the grain is running straight as can be and you're careful picking it up, not dragging it or tilting it and putting all the stress on one leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCue View Post
    I think your design will work without stringers or additional support. If the grain is running straight as can be and you're careful picking it up, not dragging it or tilting it and putting all the stress on one leg.
    Jim, at some point it will probably see these stresses. Probably best for me to add stringers for longevity. Thanks brian
    Brian

Part 2. Laying this out to maximize wood use, it looks like if I shorten the table top by 1" I can get the top and side, end skirt pieces out of the 3 pcs lumber in the middle that are the darker walnut. Walnut on either side must be from another lot since it is a lighter brown color. I do use a light walnut trans tint stain on the finished piece to help it keep it's color, but I don't see any way to use these light brown pieces in the piece? I have some cut offs from other pieces for the legs, but this has more sap wood than I would like. Backside of the 3 dark pieces in the center have more sap on the side not showing. reluctant to use these pieces for the legs since you will see both sides.

Big debate in my head use it all, dark and light brown, mix it up, accommodate the sap wood pieces in, so the overall look is irregular, and stain it all or purchase more of the darker walnut for matchy matchy look.

Thanks.

Brian

20240319_094217.jpg
    Brian

After a nights sleep, giving my brain a rest... If I shorten the table to 45" it lets me get what I need out of the darker walnut material. I measured the couch outside the arms and took 2/3"s to get the 50" length, but 45" fits nicely visually from inside the arms. I wouldn't need to use the lighter brown wood or sap wood. I can even make a solid shelf using one extra 5-1/2" wide piece not picture here.

Northwest Lumber locally is asking $13.99/bd ft for 4/4 walnut S2S.

Brian
    Brian

Will it be strong enough? Depends on your joinery.