Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Double Square tool quality

not square

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Some of the Starrette small squares had a small screw to slightly move them out of “square” . They were mainly for patternmakers.
    I suggest calling Starrette. The one I had or have….didn’t get much use, but I’m sure about the adjustment. Call Them .
    thanks - I just returned via Amazon. This one (13A) was not adjustable, as far as I can tell.

'mark

Yes I thought about that, but then I compared the Starrett and the other 2 Lee Valley Double squares to 2 of the fixed Woodpeckers I own, and also to an no-name engineering square and and adjustable (combo) 6" Starrett square. The new Double squares were always off as shown in my pictures. So its a little bit unlikely that all 4 of my other squares are off (not impossible). So then I compared each of my existing squares to one another and they were all right on the money.

I will try to next Double square that I buy with the flip method - I'd see that before but just did not try it. Woodpecker makes a Double 4" square but having a hard time spending ~$170 for that one.

thanks

'mark

'mark

yeah agreed, was doing a quick and dirty test. When all of my existing squared lined up perfectly to one another and the new Double Starrett did not, then I got suspicious and just returned it. But agreed that your test would be much more accurrate

thanks

'mark

THanks Jimmy,

well the original Lee Valley Double square (~$51.00) was made in the USA. This square was off more when the sliding part was at one end of the rule than the other when comparing it to my other squares. A friend and I then measured the width of the slot in the rule and it was wider at one end of the 4" rule than the other (using digital caliper)

So that's when decided to return the LV ones and buy the Starrett for 2X the price (ouch!). When that was off (in the pictures I shared) I just returned that one back to Amazon.

thanks for your suggestions

'mark

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    bought a mititoyu engineers square at the beginning was over 200.00 at the time. Its square and I check other squares against it. Id trust it before anything that moves. It had a certification originally, I dont remember what the tolerance was at the time.
    I love Mititoyo, they just feel right.

I sent them a photo of my caliper one day, maybe had 40 years on it and beaten to hell and still works perfect. They gave it to the Pres at the time as it really did show the level of quality. I have a panasonic camera same had over 10 years of being beaten up even forgotten in the rain. Finally died, tons of deep battle scars in it from being on my belt. Both of them spoke highly considering what they went through. Caliper is still perfect camera replaced. Easy for me to buy from both those companies.

Hey Derek

wondering how old your Starrett’s are? I heard from another ww that Starrett’s quality has really gone down. I have a Starrett 6” combo square from maybe 8 years ago and while it still shows pretty square (paper flip test method), the locking nut never works that well. It’s my fault, I should have returned it years ago, but thought it was perhaps just breaking in the threads. Still has the problem today.

What pains me is that all the Double squares I’ve just returned over the past few weeks were all made in the USA. Someone is sleeping at the wheel imho. Also i just tested the flip method on all my existing squares and they appear to be spot on. THanks

A

’mark

Mark, the 4" is fairly new, about 12 months. The only downside to is is that the blade is Imperial. I cannot find a Metric version. The 6" is Metric and about 5 or 6 years old. The 12" has a few blades, currently sporting a Metric, and about 20 years old (I have two of them).

Mine have always been accurate. Know that all combination and double square blades can be tuned for accuracy. There are tiny metal tabs inside the head which can be filed (very slightly, very carefully, one stroke at a time) to achieve the accuracy desired. Here is a video (first one I found, but decent) ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, that would be acceptable for a square that I've owned for sometime, but to me, its not acceptable that I'd have to "tune" a brand new unit.
    Perhaps i should look for a used double square on ebay and adjust from there...

best

'mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Starret has just been bought out. Hope they stay in Orange.
    I'm surprised anyone has heard of Orange. Starrett's is in Athol, adjacent to Orange. I live just south of both, in North Dana.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    I'm surprised anyone has heard of Orange. Starrett's is in Athol, adjacent to Orange. I live just south of both, in North Dana.
    Ah, brings back memories of the old joke you would hear when I lived in Boston.

Four cities were named after Endicott Peabody (Former Governor of Mass): Endicott, Peabody, Marblehead, and Athol.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

We need s a shop tour! Every time someone has a question, you seem to have an answer stored in some sort of beautiful storage! Impressive!

I recently bought the Lee valley 4 inch double square. The accuracy is OK, but the lock screw is very small, and you need to really turn it very hard to lock it which is a little bit annoying to use. I have a starrett 12 inch combination square, the lock screw has a larger diameter and it's very easy to turn and lock it.

Hi All,

I just got the PEC 4” double square tonite from Amazon. And this unit is the most accurate of the bunch. I do see a shimmer of light when comparing it to my other squares, but it does pass the line test where I drew the 90 degree line and flip the square 180 degrees and get a parallel line next to the original (Hooray!).

I’ve tested this new double square at both end of the ruler and get the same good results (unlike the Starrett and Lee Valley). It’s also square or good enough in the middle of the ruler as well.

The only thing I don’t care for but can live with is that one side of the ruler is in 1/100’s while the other is 32’nds and 64th’s. I just personally would not use 1/100th’s

otherwise its less expensive $65 keeper for now

thanks all

’mark

I just received my new Starrett 6" double square. Passes the flip test. Moves smoothly. Lovely tool.

I got mine from Iturra 904 642-2802. 80 bucks plus 9 bucks shipping. Pretty good deal. Lou has the 4" version for $70. And you get a really nice catalog if you ask. No relationship, just a happy customer.
    Last edited by les winter; 03-29-2024 at 9:26 AM. Reason: changed 4" price to $70 instead of $60