Thread: Bookcase Build Cupped Side Panel

Bookcase Build Cupped Side Panel

So, I have been working on this bookcase for a while when I get time. The design calls for removable shelves except for the bottom fixed shelf. During a dry-fit I noticed a slight "wow" over the length of one of the sides (about 1/16" in 53-1/2"). I decided to install a center shelf using a sliding dovetail to pull and hold the sides together. That seemed pretty straight-forward but then I noticed the same side had developed a bit of a cup, as well (shy of 3/32" in 12-1/2" in width). When I cut the sliding dovetail in the side piece I was able to clamp the piece fairly flat but I think I lost a little ground and the dovetail fit on that side isn't as tight as I would like it to be.

So, I don't have the wood or the inclination to remake the side of the cabinet and am considering a couple of options:

- I can pull the cup out with a clamp and considered using epoxy to install the fixed sliding dovetail shelf. Assuming this would be a lot to ask of TBIII and may even be more than I should consider epoxy to hold over time. So that is the first question - is it a bad idea to rely on an epoxied connection over time to keep the side flat?

- The second option would be to just glue in the shelf and live with the cup...

20240317_163144small.jpg 20240317_113900small.jpg
    Regards,

Kris

Not surprising that the wood moved a little bit this time of year with the seasonal humidity change and all. It will probably try to cup more in summer, and flatten out in winter. It's just the nature of wood; even quarter sawn wood moves. An eighth over 12 inches isn't too bad.

I'd just draw it together with the sliding dovetail, and glue it, if the shelf grain is similar to the sides. If one is flat and the other quartered for example, I'd probably just glue the front few inches.

I would be more inclined to use something like TB1 than epoxy though. That is a situation where your glue allowing a little creep is not a bad thing.