Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lumber and sheet good storage in a shipping container

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I'm not sure if you are joking about yourself storing too much stuff or talking about actual rodent issues... but I should probably lift mine up a few more inches. I understand that if the bottom is high enough that cats can get under it then the mice and rat problems become a lot less?
    I live outside the city, so no. Real rodents are a real issue for me. Always. The cats around here are of the wild sort, and the other natural predators are snakes. For the most part, a steel box should be relatively rodent resistant, but any vent holes present ingress possibilities.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Attachment 517161

This is my setup. I could add an awning later and some exterior lights. But I'll be outside for something like 10 ft. And like Kevin said, Utah is the 2nd driest state in the nation... If it rains in July or August it's a nice respite.

Edit: The "man door" will be on the right in the photo. So behind the lumber storage.
    I lived in Utah for 32 years (Layton/Roy areas) and while it doesn't rain, it still has weather that I'd like to avoid when making lumber selections. If you have to pull out a couple of pieces I really wouldn't want to set them down on the ground that may or may not be wet/snowy. If you can access via the man door, then it seems like you have a reasonable option should you be in inclement weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Not so much rain in Utah.
    True- substitute local inclement weather.

Here's my equivalent. In addition to misc construction lumber and supplies, there's teak, mahogany, oak, madrone, walnut, redwood, cedar, poplar, ipe, vg fir, pine. Maybe 2,000bf.

Somewhat accessible, but the long stuff underneath must be pulled out the door to access (into the rain). Lighting would be nice.

IMG_4864.jpegIMG_4863.jpegIMG_4862.jpg

I suppose if you're willing to deal with double the length to move wood vs double the width then it's up to you. That's how my wood cart is built with a couple of sections for varying widths. You could easily drop on those saw horses as you sort lumber. I wonder if the box would get too hot for lumber. I have some clear pine sitting on the rafters of my shop and noticed that it has a huge split in it.

Blog Entries
    We may have been neighbors for a short time!

I plan on opening the big doors, opening my garage door and just pulling things out, turning 90 degrees and heading inside. Nothing crazy. I can always get an awning built eventually. I don't machine raw lumber every day.

I only expect to use the man door for my construction saw, miter saw station, collapseable sawhorses, whatever else is on site only. I don't expect to pull lumber from that side.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I definitely want some airflow. There is a much more established woodworking business down the road that uses these to store lumber. They go thru inventory faster than me, so maybe it's not a big deal. I don't want my inventory to just sit there for years on end. I think that would be a failure on my part.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

I shoot for having some vents low, & some high, for a stack effect.

to much wood
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lack of appropriate shop space, and plans to move, led us to assemble a 2nd CNC router in a shipping container. Router was 4x16 ft travel.

We got a shipping container with double, double doors on one side, in addition to the doubles on one end. Made for excellent access for material and setup.