I'm currently an annual survivor of terrible summers in the Houston, TX area. I live in a decent 6-7 year old, 2-story production builder home with all the mechanicals located in the hot attic. Recently, I've learned more and more about these unventilated attics with spray foam insulation on the rafters as opposed to blown in insulation on the flat. It blows my mind that homes are so commonly built this way with A/C's having to pump cold air through 120-140 deg F attics for 9 months out the year. I sure wish I knew about this before building this house.

Considering the fact that moving and building a more efficient home is unlikely due to great school districts and not uprooting kids, I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with retrofitting their attic to a unvented, conditioned space. I've tried searching locally to find an AC or insulation company or contractor that advertises this and haven't seen anything. I also realize this is a large task with all the considerations of gas furnaces, gas water heaters, and various attic penetrations. I'd love to speak with a contractor who has this down to a science with significant experience doing this operation, and seeing if this is even feasible for us. It stresses me out in the summers knowing my AC is running around the clock for the majority of the day and that it's lifespan will likely be shortened because of this extra strain.

Thanks for reading,
Brandon Lemen