Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Car Damaged by Dealer, My 2 Options

You can still buy ‘new car smell’ perfume in a spray can. I just checked .

Once when I was a “New Car” salesman , a double decker junk car carrier rolled by the showroom. I remarked “ the carrier damage
    to the new cars keeps getting worse “. Got a big laugh , so I considered going into “ stand up comedy” !

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    You can still buy ‘new car smell’ perfume in a spray can. I just checked .
    It's not the same. I have checked.

40% discount and accept as is.

If it's just the hatch that is damaged I'd insist they replace the hatch with a new one c/w factory paint. No need for any discount other than to compensate for the delay in delivery. I'm surprised the dealer didn't just do that.

Let me guess.

Is it a Model 'Y'?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I just remembered ( flash backed ) to what selling cars in 1960’s was like. The show rooms would have the big glass windows covered
    with ugly brown paper ,while the buyers stood around yelling “I wanna see the the ,NEW CARS”. People would push on the glass and
    the guys inside just hoped they wouldn’t be killed by the mobs pushing on the windows .

I also remember back then when the new cars came out in the fall each year and it was a big event.
    I think the manufacturers destroyed that when the started coming out with new models throughout the year like the 19xx and 1/2 model. The increased number of imports didn't help since they had their own schedule so there was always some new model making the scene.

I think you made the right choice. If you plan on owning the car for long enough sooner or later you will see the difference in paint. On a side note when I was about 10 years old I remember watching the older kids pelt rocks as trains passed by carrying new cars down from Canada. They would line up at the side of the tracks when they heard the train coming. I couldn't believe that the police didn't stop it. I think the goal was to break a window but I'm sure lots of doors and fenders were damaged. Finally they put steel panels up on the sides of the railcars. For months this went on every day ending when school started in the fall. I'm sure all those cars were fixed and sold as new.

friend is a top detailer and sometimes I showed up to watch a skilled guy. So he gets a high end european car for some high level gov guy. He starts into it and once washed hood up says this car has been hit before.

He calls the owner and says sorry I wont work on your car its been hit and I cant trust what work was done to it. Owner freaks calls his lawyer. Long and short was because my friend could tell it had been hit the owner Lawyer went back to the dealer (no accident car) and they realized things were going to hit the fan. If accurate what I was told is they replaced his car with a new one and gave him 40k off selling price.

Friend had hours in and never got paid. He didnt want me to go back to the guy. Moron customer didnt even say hey thanks for all you did and your knowledge and saving me. Heres some coin to say thanks. He did call my friend up down the road and asked him to do a detail and friend declined.