Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Em8000cv orange peel.. hickory

Blog Entries

Em8000cv orange peel.. hickory

20240314_113834.jpg

17104380829168843210220594796390.jpg

20240314_113841.jpg

Different thickness of coat in photos from thin to thick. 1.3 n/n and tip

10 psi at turbine. No thinning. 3 percent cross link.

6 inch fan.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    Air knob open 1.5 turns from closed
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    14 seconds thru Ford 4
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    Maybe I should just count on polishing to semi gloss afterwards
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Maybe you’re too far from the workpiece? For waterborne in my HVLP, I aim for 6-8 inches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Maybe you’re too far from the workpiece? For waterborne in my HVLP, I aim for 6-8 inches.
    I've tried that too..

I called target coatings... he said 65 degrees is bare minimum.. I was at 60 degrees... so I'm waiting for my shop to heat up.

I may try polishing later too if I can't get anything to work
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

It looks like the finish is starting to set up before it has a chance to fully flow out. Low temp. would actually be a benefit in that regard, but turbines blow hot air so it may not matter. The viscosity is exceptionally low. The specs. say it's 35 - 40 seconds through a Zahn #2 cup, which is about 32 seconds through a Ford #4. You're measuring less than half. Something is off somewhere. Did it look uniform in the can, or like it was separated? If it's not pretty uniform perhaps it got frozen during shipment.

Assuming the product is OK, I would open the fan wide open and turn up the flow until you get a nice oval or race track when you shoot a burst against a piece of brown paper from 8 - 10" away. When you've got a good pattern spray a test board, overlapping your passes by 50%. You want a coat that just flows out, not a heavy one that looks like it's going to run or looks opaque. If it keeps setting up too fast, then get some Extender and add 4 or 5% of that. That will slow down the drying so it can flow out.

With that panel, I would sand it back flat and start anew.

EM-8000CV sprays like a dream for me but throw that out the door if it was frozen or otherwise bad. Something is not right about the viscosity.

John

Blog Entries
    What kind of extender to you use?

I don't want to take the time to order targets if possible
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

You can use the GF extender no problem and it may be available locally to you if you have a store that sells GF finishes. If not, I may be available on Amazon or other marketplaces for quick receipt.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    What kind of extender to you use?

I don't want to take the time to order targets if possible

TC calls theirs Retarder: https://www.targetcoatings.com/produ...rush-retarder/

I use GF's Extender: https://www.amazon.com/General-Finis...s%2C109&sr=8-3

John

Blog Entries
    According to the TDS (and it does seem to work fine), you can add a coat w/in 30 minutes..

my question.. what are you doing w/ the product and your gun? I just left in the gun, but my 2nd coats were worse than my first and so on. I really don't think I can just leave the product in my gun ready to go (turbine off) for that long. However, 30 minutes is long enough that if I did clean it I would just be reloading the product all over again within a few minutes... so I'm wondering what you guys do process flow wise?
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Andrew, I never empty the gun until I'm done spraying the product. It's sealed when the trigger isn't pulled. I just clean any "stuff" off the N/N area with my fingernail and then shoot the next coat. And yes, this includes even overnight. The one caution with this is if you opt to use the crosslinker for higher chemical resistance, there is an actual "pot life", but it's generous compared to many products.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I leave product in my gun all day, but not overnight. No reason, just me.

About the crosslinker for EM-8000CV. It doesn't cause the finish to set up in your gun and ruin it if you leave it in your gun too long, like really does happen with true 2-part catalyzed finishes, it just becomes ineffective. The finish is still good, but you have to remix it with some fresh finish and more cross linker, IIRC. In any case, it won't ruin your gun.

John

Blog Entries
    Okay, I was doing the same thing and then had a moment where I thought I totally screwed up by leaving it in too long. So good to know that we can just leave it in the gun.

Thanks for your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I leave product in my gun all day, but not overnight. No reason, just me.

About the crosslinker for EM-8000CV. It doesn't cause the finish to set up in your gun and ruin it if you leave it in your gun too long, like really does happen with true 2-part catalyzed finishes, it just becomes ineffective. The finish is still good, but you have to remix it with some fresh finish and more cross linker, IIRC. In any case, it won't ruin your gun.

John
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

I also leave it in the gun all day and then clean each night as John does. I do have to pick the scab off the nozzle b4 each session, tho. If I'm spraying in the winter, I bring both the gun/cup and the piece inside to dry and to equilibrate to house temperature. Are your wood, gun, and product warmed to room temp prior to applying?

It should level out without persnickety setting. Even initial orange peel seems to miraculously flow out with this product for me. I don't think you should resort to extenders or thinning yet.

Asssuming your temps are fine, I would try this order of troubleshooting:

1) Spray a thinner coat.
    2) Try spraying without the cross linker.
    3) Order a replacement quart.