Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe storage for a 22ga shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Or take to a gun shop and sell it, just a 22 caliber rifle something like I grew up with.
    You seem to have missed the point that there is sentimental value here. IE, it's not that it's a super duper rifle, it's the fact that it was the OP's dad's when his dad was a kid.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    A trigger lock would keep it from firing , but it could still be used to bang a head in...
    <sarcasm> I'm not sure there's enough room in my gun safe to store all my hammers. Suggestions? </sarcasm>
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    <sarcasm> I'm not sure there's enough room in my gun safe to store all my hammers. Suggestions? </sarcasm>
    Heck we used to take our 22s on the school bus to go squirrel hunting at a friends after school. I suggested just getting rid of it since it’s clear none of them are gun people and will never use, or even handle, keepsake or not.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Heck we used to take our 22s on the school bus to go squirrel hunting at a friends after school. I suggested just getting rid of it since it’s clear none of them are gun people and will never use, or even handle, keepsake or not.
    Ag class in basement of school had an indoor target range. Kids brought rifles to school on the bus. Practiced as part of agriculture course. Some schools actually had rifle teams. One kid, for show and tell would bring in one of the pistols he made.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Ag class in basement of school had an indoor target range. Kids brought rifles to school on the bus. Practiced as part of agriculture course. Some schools actually had rifle teams. One kid, for show and tell would bring in one of the pistols he made.
    My youth was similar. You could buy rifles at the hardware store. My Winchester model 94 came from K-Mart. I'd come home from school and grab a gun, a vest, and a dog and go hunting the treelines for rabbits. I suspect that if a teenager with a long gun was seen in the same locale today someone would call the cops. Hayfields have turned into "country estates".
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I have a picture of my sister and I boarding a Greyhound buss to go to Grandmas. I am carrying my shotgun in its Winchester cardboard box. I am sure I had shells too. I think I was 11 or 12.
    I recently took to measures to secure all of the guns.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Correct all my handguns are locked in a safe place, long guns with trigger locks. Always treat all guns as loaded and never point a firearm at something you do not want to shoot. Learned proper gun handling at an early age. There may be a time when you wish you had one.

Amazon search trigger lock. They are $12 it goes through the trigger guard making it impossible to fire. Cheaper than any safe.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Amazon search trigger lock. They are $12 it goes through the trigger guard making it impossible to fire. Cheaper than any safe.
    That's not sufficient in New Jersey.
    You need a locking container - or a safe.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    That's not sufficient in New Jersey.
    You need a locking container - or a safe.
    The OP is not in NJ but in Virginia that is who George was replying too.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I just read that Virginia requires safe storage. I have my dads 22ga rifle that he had when he was a kid. I don’t know exactly when he got it but it’s pretty old. He was born in 1908.

the gun breaks down into two pieces and is stored in some sort of long sock that’s supposed to prevent rust. The last time it was handled was probably 20 years ago when a gunsmith friend went through it. He applied lubricants/coatings with archiving in mind. The last time it was shot by me was over 50 years ago.

So the gun is sort of disassembled and stored in a sock. There’s no ammunition in the house. What doi need to do to comply with storage requirements? There’s no way I’m getting a gun safe. Is there a lockable case that’s not too big? I can always just keep my trap shut but I would rather follow the law.

second question. If I take the gun to a gunsmith, can it be rendered inoperable in a way that’s reversible by a gunsmith? The idea would be to discourage a kid.

third question: Would a trigger lock suffice?
    Roger

It does not appear, from a simple google search, that the safe storage law has passed. It also appears that it is targeted at residences with minors, and or adults with known mental issue. You would have to ask that question to your local PD, and they may not even have the answer.
    Don't let the term " Gun Safe" cause anxiety.A safe is a safe, and it can be used to store more things than guns. If the rifle breaks down as small as you're implying, it would be very inexpensive To buy a small 3 or 5 gun safe to secure it, and maybe put other things in there as well. It would cost more for a gunsmith to render it inoperable than a small safe.
    I wouldn't be too concerned about its age.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Ditto what Mike just said, the only requirement is storage so a Minor can not access the firearm, no requirement for gun safe or other means. A gun lock is needed if you have children in the home and that is common sense. My guess he has got a old Stevens single shot lever 22 like my dad had, by the time I was able to use it was pretty well worn out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    It would cost more for a gunsmith to render it inoperable than a small safe.
    That seems highly unlikely: removing the firing pin takes maybe 5-10 minutes max.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

The OP is not in NJ but in Virginia that is who George was replying too.
    I understand that. I am going on the presumption that George, who does live in NJ, might not be aware of the laws in his own state.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I understand that. I am going on the presumption that George, who does live in NJ, might not be aware of the laws in his own state.
    I have 5 seperate (full) gun safes. I was giving him a legitimate inexpensive solution for him. NJ is not an easy state to be a gun enthusiast in.