Thread: Experience Splitting Boards from Longer Logs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Experience Splitting Boards from Longer Logs

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience splitting longer tree sections. I know someone who is getting an old walnut tree cut down. The trunk is about 2 ft in diameter so at 183 pounds a linear foot there's no way I can do anything with the log unless I can split it up on his property into eighths at least. I don't want to make too big of a production out of it which is why I'm hoping to split it vs bringing in a sawmill. I'm looking to do something akin to this picture from the Peter Follansbee blog:

maul-wedges-2.jpg

So my question is, for someone who has no experience doing something like this, is it doable? I was thinking a 6 or 8 ft section to maximize optionality down the road but if that's too much to bite off I could ask for a couple 3 ft sections for chair parts, etc.

It's not the best picture but here's what I got from the guy. he says the tree is ~70 ft tall so the trunk section is probably +10ft. I'm not sure if that big branch would add extra tension to the trunk section. He said that I can come the day it gets cut down and give them a thumbs up or down on whether I want it so at least I'll be able to see the cross section before fully committing.

IMG_4176.jpg
    Last edited by Denis Rezendes; 03-14-2024 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Adding a picture of the tree