Thread: Building Laminate Desk - Help with Edge and Router Bits?

Building Laminate Desk - Help with Edge and Router Bits?

I have worked with laminate countertops many times, and did my own laminate bar top years ago but I am now looking to build a 10 x 8 (roughly) U shaped desk, so it's only one 5' x 12' sheet of Formica. I am looking to use Formica 180fx as they have some beautiful color choices. The desk will be 24" deep, perhaps 23-15/16" even depending on the 3/4 particle board dimension and saw kerf.

1.) I am undecided right now on what to line the face of the desk with, locally I only have a couple options in terms of pretty wood. I could get 1x6 in oak, and maybe a maple or birch but doubtful. The 3/4" thickness would be too much in my opinion, I think 1/4" thick would look best which I assume would just mean ripping the 3/4" down to 1/4" if I went that route.

2.) If I were to use a wood to face the desk, should I make it hang flush with the top of the laminate or router the laminate first then hang lower? I've considered trying to first router the edge of the laminate with an 1/16 or 1/8" radius bit like this? Or one of these angled bevel bits like this? Or are those only used when you are making both the surface and the face laminate?

I was thinking it would be too difficult to ensure the wood is flush with the laminate top, especially when contact cement and natural wood are the variables that come to play there. Yikes! Is there a way to maybe use a 3/8" or 7/16" radius bit instead that would radius both the wood and the laminate? I've never used a radius bit before especially not on laminate. I am wondering how 'finished' it would look, I envision the cut edge would lack any color and stand out if I cut too deep into the material?

3.) As I think about all of this, I think that laminate on the face would be the most complete and uniform look. I assume people do wood faces on laminate tops to meet a certain aesthetic? Or is it because the seam between two laminates when perpendicular is just hard to pull off? If doing laminate on both surfaces (top and face/edge) which router bit is best? Again sort of inexperienced, afraid if I did much of a radius over 1/16" that it would look like a raw edge or something and not be right?

4.) With this being a U shape, that means two inside miters to deal with. At first I was thinking about building the subframe and installing it once so I can scribe the material and sand it down to fit the drywall perfectly. However that is a lot of extra work and moving up and down sets of stairs. Would it be just as good to laminate the three pieces and assume I can get the miters to line up anyway? With the two miters, I've always used traditional countertop miter kits with the 3 or 4 bolt style clamps. I assume I just need to get crafty with the sub base and make sure I can use those clamp bolts and do some fancy cutting to allow slots for them? Or is there a better way on custom tops dealing with miters?

5.) When dealing with such a large 5x12 roll of formica, is there a 'best' way to cut it down? I am considering a jigsaw or circ saw to the center of the roll that is still tightly taped to get it into 30"ish strips? I don't have a work shop with a large flat surface otherwise and I envision trying to unroll it on the garage or house floor would be comical as it has shape/memory of the shipping roll?

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. I'm excited to try things out, but I really am not sure what route to go with router bits, and how to best do that.
    Last edited by Nicholas Birch; 03-13-2024 at 6:40 PM.

My favorite edge treatment is to apply desired wood edging (3/4 thick is good) to the substrate and get it flush with the substrate top by whatever method you like. Then apply the laminate over the substrate and the top of the edging. Now take a bearing guided chamfer and set the depth so it will remove about 3/8" of the corner and run it around the top edge. This leaves a 45 degree reveal of the top of the edging. The formica edge will also be at 45 degrees in perfect line with the reveal. You can see the result in this pic:

IMG_1079.jpg

I'll let others address your other questions....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    As Paul shows, the bevel trim bit can work well to trim the formica and create a beveled edge on the wood facing simultaneously. It is a look I still like even though it is a throwback to the 1980s. An ogee or a 45 degree bevel bit are used as well. I use biscuits along with draw bolts for miters. Biscuits would be a big help if you do not want to glue the miter for future take down. I might think about a butt joint with blocking and carefully drilled horizontal through bolts underneath rather than a fussy and fragile T bolt miter. Breaking down 5' X10' is a bit tricky. I occasionally rip a roll of formica on the table saw while it is rolled. Check into getting your formica in two 30" X 120" pieces.

some google images;
    https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=578&dpr=1
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-13-2024 at 7:53 PM. Reason: what Paul Franklin said
    Best Regards, Maurice

Hey Paul, so you incorporate the 3/4" 1x material into the 24" (or 23.xx") and run the formica over the top 3/4" edge of the wood?

Do you have a sample link to the router bit you use for reference?

And I am not sure why but I can't open the image you uploaded. Might be because I am new here? Hope that it works soon so I can see, as that probably answers my questions for you... sorry. I'm not able to visualize the 45 degree edge you talk about but can't open the picture. Edit: Looks like I need to pay a membership to view the photo.
    Last edited by Nicholas Birch; 03-13-2024 at 7:56 PM.

I have not considered doing a butt joint instead of the miter. What drawbacks would there be there you think? It would simplify things and remove the fragile tips of the backs.

I do not have a biscuit cutter, but I like the idea of not permanently gluing the top since it's a desk and would be nice to maybe change or modify years from now... I wonder if the butt joint with some extra bolts would work. Even using a piece of 3/4" ply on the joint maybe with several 1-1/4" screws? Just would need a way to temporarily squeeze the joint tight as possible.

Those images do look good, but I agree a bit 80s/90s vibe with the wood edge which I may want to avoid if I can find a way to do laminate on both the face and the top surface and still make it look nice, if perhaps possible with the correct kind of router bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Birch View Post
    Hey Paul, so you incorporate the 3/4" 1x material into the 24" (or 23.xx") and run the formica over the top 3/4" edge of the wood?

Do you have a sample link to the router bit you use for reference?

And I am not sure why but I can't open the image you uploaded. Might be because I am new here? Hope that it works soon so I can see, as that probably answers my questions for you... sorry. I'm not able to visualize the 45 degree edge you talk about but can't open the picture. Edit: Looks like I need to pay a membership to view the photo.
    Yes, you need to be a contributor ($6 per year min, bargain of the century!) to see photos.

For the router bit you could look at whiteside 2305 or 2306 for an example. Yes, you run the laminate right over the top and then bevel the edge.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I also think the miter joints are not a great idea. I suggest making three panels and joint them with dowels and cleats/screws so they can be assembled and disassembled later- who wants to move a 5'X10' panel anyway?

Ease the edges where the laminate panels meet and accept that the joints will not be 100% perfect.

24" depth is not enough for a working desk IMO- 30" minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I also think the miter joints are not a great idea. I suggest making three panels and joint them with dowels and cleats/screws so they can be assembled and disassembled later- who wants to move a 5'X10' panel anyway?

Ease the edges where the laminate panels meet and accept that the joints will not be 100% perfect.

24" depth is not enough for a working desk IMO- 30" minimum.
    For the eased edges where the laminate panel meet, is there a bit you suggest?

I agree 24" isn't ideal, but I am working in a very small space to try and fit three computer setups. My current wood desk is 33" and previous was 30" deep. However I intend on mounting all monitors on stands at the back of the desk and maybe even some on walls if I want more than 2 screens. The towers will likely go under the desk surface (as currently they store on the desktop).

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Birch View Post
    For the eased edges where the laminate panel meet, is there a bit you suggest?

I agree 24" isn't ideal, but I am working in a very small space to try and fit three computer setups. My current wood desk is 33" and previous was 30" deep. However I intend on mounting all monitors on stands at the back of the desk and maybe even some on walls if I want more than 2 screens. The towers will likely go under the desk surface (as currently they store on the desktop).

Just use a file to ease the laminate edges slightly.