Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 years and nine months

3 years and nine months

After 3 years and 9 months I finally went into the shop. It's remarkable what time made me forget - I had to watch a dovetail video to get it back in my head what to do. And then there's the muscle memory ( or not ) that goes away. My son's in law made the shop usable about 6 months ago, finally, but a relapse stopped me from going in there. But today was the day. Started with cutting some dovetails but I'm sure they'll suck judging from the tails I've cut. I'll finish tomorrow if I feel ok and see how bad they are. But at least I'm back doing something after all this time. Sure feels good to make some sawdust again. I'll start with the power tools on a day that I don't need the pain pills - they make me a bit unsteady and the table saw isn't something I want to tangle with when I'm doing a bit of narco floating, ya know. Any way, I have 2 walnut plant stands in the near future.

2024-03-12_14h11_56.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Glad you’re able to get back to it! Sounds like you’re taking a slow, sensible approach.
    Look forward to seeing a pic of those plant stands.
    Be well,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Bill, good to see your post, and happy to hear the journey continues. All steps forward, even baby steps, are a positive.

Best to you, sir. Patrick

Glad to see you’re back at it. Enjoy and don’t overdo
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Wonderful news that you are back making chips! Good luck going forward!

Great news Bill. You're going to have to work up to speed slowly. Don't push too far too fast.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Good for you. Brian
    Brian

Wow...I was going nuts with just a month or two of not being able to go into the shop due to a recent surgery. I can only imagine what 3 years and nine months feels like! Congratulations, Bill!! You'll get your skilz back lickety split!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thx for the well wishes folks - much appreciated. Here's the output from the first day back. 2 outa 3 aint bad, I guess........ The right side was to tight so I tried hand trimming with a chisel. After getting the bandaids on, I screwed it up by taking way too much off.
    2024-03-12_18h15_35.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Don't sweat the fit of the dovetails, celebrate that you get to be back in the shop!! Glad to know you're doing better, hang in there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Thx for the well wishes folks - much appreciated. Here's the output from the first day back. 2 outa 3 aint bad, I guess........ The right side was to tight so I tried hand trimming with a chisel. After getting the bandaids on, I screwed it up by taking way too much off.
    2024-03-12_18h15_35.jpg
    No worries...that's an easy fix with shin shims inserted and glued in at an angle and trimmed. They literally disappear!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bill,

Who cares about the fit of the dovetails! I had my fair share of time out of the shop after a cancer diagnosis and a relapse. From my experience, take your time, enjoy the experience when you're able and don't over do it. The skills come back and you quickly appreciate much smaller goals. Glad you're back!

Blog Entries
    You're not alone. I just got back into it a few days ago after two years. We moved back to the North to be around family so someone can look after my sons after, well just after. We are in a condo now and space is a real problem. Most large power tools are in the garage on wheels and what won't fit is in the basement. First thing I noticed is whatever I needed was always downstairs and I still don't do stairs well but like you I really enjoy seeing sawdust on the floor again.

Bill, good to see you back in action - I am sure it is a sweet feeling!

Great to see you back making sawdust, Bill. Slow and steady wins the race here. And 2/3 is a gazillion times better than 0/3 years.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.