Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Site For Posting Photos Here???

Best Site For Posting Photos Here???

I've been trying to use Imgur's new site, but can't make heads or tales of how to load and resize my photos for forum use. Please give me suggesting on the easiest apps to use for this?

I use Lightroom locally and upload to SMC. That way, the photos stay with the content "forever". Photos hosted elsewhere can go missing, just like happened with the big PhotoBucket debacle a number of years ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use Lightroom locally and upload to SMC. That way, the photos stay with the content "forever". Photos hosted elsewhere can go missing, just like happened with the big PhotoBucket debacle a number of years ago.
    Jim, isn't there a limit to the number of photos you can upload?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Jim, isn't there a limit to the number of photos you can upload?
    Not in aggregate; only per post. You can have a "million" of them in your gallery (being facetious) but can only put eight per post. So you do a post with eight and then reply to that post with another eight, rinse, repeat. In some respects, that's better because one can annotate easier when there are not too many photos in post. But there's also a limit per post for "linked images" (including smileys), too. I forget the number but it might be something like 15 or 20.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Also, I'm looking for easy to use, as I'm a real dummy with this stuff.

I use https://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/
    This software allows you to change the file size without changing the viewable size.
    There is a slight degradation in quality but not a deal breaker.
    Example
    2017 bowl-1 (600 x 450).jpg this photo is 35.2kb

Many photo residing software titles simply shrinks everything, making your photos smaller and difficult to view.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Not in aggregate; only per post. You can have a "million" of them in your gallery (being facetious) but can only put eight per post. So you do a post with eight and then reply to that post with another eight, rinse, repeat. In some respects, that's better because one can annotate easier when there are not too many photos in post. But there's also a limit per post for "linked images" (including smileys), too. I forget the number but it might be something like 15 or 20.
    Good to know, thanks. I'll start uploading then.

Thanks Michael. Seems pretty straightforward for a computer dummy like me.

Blog Entries
    It is best to actually upload your photos to SMC. That way they will always be there. Sometimes due total number of files and allotted file space your photos get taken down by you or when a sharing site shuts down, which then leaves gaps in your posts here.

I generally don't resize photos that I post here. The software will do that for you when you upload a file to SMC.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It is best to actually upload your photos to SMC. That way they will always be there. Sometimes due total number of files and allotted file space your photos get taken down by you or when a sharing site shuts down, which then leaves gaps in your posts here.

I generally don't resize photos that I post here. The software will do that for you when you upload a file to SMC.
    +1 to this.

The late Nissim Avrahami was a creative genius at solving problems with shop made jigs. Since English wasn't his native language, his "how to" posts told the story in pictures.
    Sadly, when he passed away, a lot of his posts went dark and we are left with only what he uploaded to SMC.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I can't remember how many people have contacted me through the years asking about their fathers or grand fathers who have passed and when they did an Internet search on their names found them here. Most are not woodworkers just close family who found out that their loved ones were very talented and want to know more about them. Most are really interested in getting copies of pictures and text shared here for family photo albums. I always offer to create an account here and provide some free time so they can capture text and pictures, every one has been very appreciative and most found treasure here that they were excited to share with their family.

There is valuable history here!

I am the only one here that has easy access to every picture uploaded. The first week of January every year Aaron extracts all of the pictures from the previous year for me and includes the owners name in the file name. The pictures are captured and stored by forum name, and they are an amazing resource. I often run a slide show that I can transfer to my television, and I am always impressed by the talent here. I must admit that I try to update my galleries here as best I can given my time restraints but I can't keep up with every project and my responsibilities here as well. My grand daughter or possibly a great grandson might visit to see what my shop was all about in the years to come. One day my computer will turn into digital dust but The Creek will still be here.

SMC picture capture 2018.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-13-2024 at 8:03 AM.

The site automatically resizes for you, are you sure?
    I only ask because IME, every site has size limits on photos, unless it's a photography site you pay for.

I think it may resize for viewing purposes, screen size but I don't think it changes the files physical size.
    Hopefully one of the Admins or mods can clarify. They're the ones who have to deal with slow loading pages and storage issues that large photos can cause.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    The site automatically resizes for you, are you sure?
    I only ask because IME, every site has size limits on photos, unless it's a photography site you pay for.
    IMG_9013.jpg
    The file for the photo above was 9,242 KB when I uploaded it.

The photo below was 19,580 KB
    IMG_1114 Stitch.jpg

They both uploaded in less than 40 seconds.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-13-2024 at 5:06 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

IMG_9013.jpg
    The file for the photo above was 9,242 KB when I uploaded it.

The photo below was 19,580 KB
    IMG_1114 Stitch.jpg

They both uploaded in less than 40 seconds.
    I don't understandthe photo sizes you mentioned, typically once you go above, 1,000 bytes, you stop listing as KB and start listing aa MB

Data Storage Units
    Bit 1 or 0
    Byte 8 bits
    Kilobyte 1,000 bytes
    Megabyte 1,000 kilobytes
    Gigabyte 1,000 megabytes
    Terabyte 1,000 gigabytes
    Petabyte 1,000 terabytes
    Exabyte 1,000 petabytes
    Zettabyte 1,000 exabytes
    Yottabyte 1,000 zettabytes

9,242 KB = 9.2 MB
    19,580 KB = 19.5 MB

It looks as if the software reduces everything down to about the 225-300kb size range judging by what has been posted recently.
    I wasn't aware the software did that, thanks.