Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This router bit?

This router bit?

Has anyone tried this router bit?

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 7.34.59 PM.jpg
    The website selling this bit is called findbuytool.com
    Has anyone used them? Are they reputable?

The website does not give a brand / maker. The cutter dimensions are 30mm x 60mm. The shank is 1/2".

thanks, Mark

I have a pretty strong opinion about buying new tooling advertised on Facebook. Could be fine, but it sure looks gimmicky to me. I imagine a person to buy several carbide flush trim bits based just on the cost of replacement inserts.

I bought insert cutter heads for my DeWalt735 and an old 6" Grizzly jointer off FindBuyTool. Price was right, and products came as described. Didn't have any issues with install and they've worked pretty well (admittedly with light/hobbyist) use over a few months.

If you want a similar style bit from a better-known site that you can check SpeTool: https://spetools.com/collections/ran...sh-router-bits

There are quite a few YouTube reviews on those at this point. It's still an offshore company (like those from FindBuyTool), but I believe with SpeTool you're dealing directly with the manufacturer.
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 03-11-2024 at 11:22 PM.

No opinion on the seller, but having had 2 carbide inserts break in my planer in the last 10 or so years (both on knots that i should not have run through)...i don't think i'd want one to let loose from a router bit when i'm in the same room. The sound out of the planer was violent--and both times it happened were memorable enough for me. Planer & jointer would keep the pieces somewhat contained, router puts them more in the open space than i personally would want to chance.

Seems like a design by an accountant rather than an engineer. Like someone noticed helical heads are all the rage in jointers and planers and decided it would sell well somewhere else too.

I haven't seen any spiral bits this wide, so it's possible it could have a specialized use. But I'd rather use a spiral bit if possible. A spiral bit performs more of a shear cut with the blades engaging at an angle. This is basically a broken up fluted bit. It might not overheat as fast as a fluted bit due to the smaller cutting surfaces. But I don't see it performing as clean of a cut or moving chips as efficiently as a spiral bit. And it's more expensive and dangerous than a fluted bit.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone.
    I'll stick to spiral router bits.

Probably cheaper to buy a used solid carbide sprial endmill then risk one of those grenading.
    bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post

If you want a similar style bit from a better-known site that you can check SpeTool: https://spetools.com/collections/ran...sh-router-bits

There are quite a few YouTube reviews on those at this point. It's still an offshore company (like those from FindBuyTool), but I believe with SpeTool you're dealing directly with the manufacturer.
    Sure doesn't sound like a manufacturer. From the SpeTool website; JUCCI INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD., (International company of Hangzhou Fengchi Import & Export Co., Ltd.,), is an online retail company dedicated to providing woodworking and CNC tools of exceptional quality at reasonable prices to the global market. https://spetools.com/pages/about-us

Blog Entries
    +1 on staying away from bargain basement carbide insert router bits. Ask yourself where that insert is going to go when it breaks loose. In a planer, it’s going to rattle around a metal enclosure and maybe come towards you. A router bit is much more exposed.

If you are interested in an insert type cutter like that, SpeTool has some nice offerings for reasonable money and they are a reputable supplier. Yes, they are an Asian/Chinese supplier, but one with good quality, in my experience. (I have a lot of spirals from them, too, for CNC use)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I received one exactly like this recently but have not used it yet. Guess I should wait till I use it to comment, but I can not see why it will not work fine. Wanted the long cut length and the replaceable inserts.

I purchased this one from them. It is a beast. I have not had the occasion to use it as yet.

Neil Erasmus (designer/high end maker) wrote a review: https://www.woodreview.com.au/tools-...-router-cutter

Regards from Perth

Derek

Neil Erasmus (designer/high end maker)

That's a new title! Makes me chuckle! Where or how do you cross over from maker to high end maker? What is the monetary boundary between the two? So many questions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Neil Erasmus (designer/high end maker)

That's a new title! Makes me chuckle! Where or how do you cross over from maker to high end maker? What is the monetary boundary between the two? So many questions!!!
    Richard, I recognise that there are different levels to your question. The literal answer is in monetary terms: building one-off pieces which command high prices. The other issue, which I suspect to which you are referring is whether this is a self- title and advertising for oneself. I think that it is a title earned by reputation. Neil (whom I know well) has an enviable reputation as maker, designer and teacher (around the world).

Regards from Perth

Derek

What are you using the router bit for?