• Tonic

0 0%
  • None of the above

6 10.34%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you call non-alcoholic carbonated beverages;

Blog Entries

What do you call non-alcoholic carbonated beverages;

I was reading the other thread regard the name used for carbonated beverages and decided to make the poll that Ole suggested
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Dr, Pepper
    BillL

In this part of the country it's Pop.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

For me it’s soft drink but the vending machine is a pop or Coke machine.
    Chuck

Near beer? Fizzy water? Seltzer?

Pop when I was growing up in Ohio, soda for most of my life in CA, MO, and MA, and tonic now when conversing with people who grew up around Boston.

I call it soda but I'm surprised Nehi didn't make the list

Blog Entries
    I’m from the Deep South. It’s Coke, no matter what brand it actually is, except if it’s RC Cola, which you ask for by name, and you also should order a moon pie to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I’m from the Deep South. It’s Coke, no matter what brand it actually is, except if it’s RC Cola, which you ask for by name, and you also should order a moon pie to go with it.
    They still make those?!?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I call it soda but I'm surprised Nehi didn't make the list
    As many New England (specifically Maine) people as we have here, I was expecting to see Moxie on the list somewhere.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    As many New England (specifically Maine) people as we have here, I was expecting to see Moxie on the list somewhere.
    I haven't heard Moxie in years, good one.

Smile

I voted none of the above. Where I live, and in most of the south west, there are so many transplants who bring their preconceptions with them, that I don't see one name being used most. Soda, pop, coke, and coca are all heard pretty equally, with coca gaining in 'pop'ularity.

I can see one name being fairly universal in other, more geographically inbred, areas of the country, but things in the southwest are more fluid.

With that observation, I will head to my shelter.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 03-12-2024 at 2:29 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I voted non of the above. But that's not really true, I use Coke when I want a Coke, Root Beer when I want a root beer etc. I don't think I've ever heard someone in my area use a generic term for all carbonated beverages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Combs View Post
    I voted non of the above. But that's not really true, I use Coke when I want a Coke, Root Beer when I want a root beer etc. I don't think I've ever heard someone in my area use a generic term for all carbonated beverages.
    Agreed, except for root beer. If i'm out and have a root beer urge, i ask what they have--and rarely does a place have one i want to drink. I'm persnickity that way...i want a RB made from cane sugar in a glass bottle (or made on site). One of the nice things about going to a Mexican restaurant is being able to get a Mexican Coke, though both of the grocery stores in our town now stock that--more like the Coca-Cola i remember from my youth. I rarely drink soft drinks, even more rarely i have a mainstream US soft drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    For me it’s soft drink but the vending machine is a pop or Coke machine.
    Chuck
    I agree with Chuck and FWIW, I've lived major parts of my life in 3 different parts of the country (NW, SE and E) and none are where Chuck lives.

Blog Entries
    It was Pepsi when Dads shop was qualified to be on the Pepsi wholesale delivery route. 12 OZ. return for deposit glass bottles. I occasionally wore him down with my begging for Dad's Root Beer and we would have a case of Dad's Root Beer in the shop fridge too. The alleged limit was two a day. When the shop relocated to a shared space with Chucks Choppers we started drinking Coke as Chuck was on the Coke sales route. Chucks chest vending machine for 12 OZ bottles was also stocked with Heineken. During the betrayal of "New Coke" it was RC and Dr. Pepper. We are back to Coke again these days and we call it Coke.

The little town near our wood lot still has an A&W. It is hard to pass by without stopping for a frosty mug of Root Beer. I hope they stay in business.

According to Ted Willams Moxie is what you want. My Father In Law is a Moxie drinker too.
    Best Regards, Maurice