Thread: Shop cart version three

Shop cart version three

The first was one of those 18"X30" metal utility carts, which I never liked. Got it for use on jobsites & it was in the shop in between. Added a middle shelf and a board on top.

A few years ago, made an improved version from scraps, which was OK.

Now an improved version of that- taller, better wheels, optimized shelf spacing. The shelves below hold two finish sanders, four trim routers, and three belt sanders all plugged in with long cords and dedicated bits/belts. The cords make a mess but should now somewhat push under the cart.

Also on the shelves two router bit boxes, power plane, heat gun and a full size router. The miter saw on top is not fixed as it also goes in the field, but will have a pivot pin/bolt so it can swing out to cut longer stock. I've increasingly found that having miter saw up high is good- better view, less bending, and the stock is above the fray.

The base dolly I recently got for free & cut the 1" ply deck down slightly, & the shelves are from some lumber core cabinet doors that have been around for years, waiting for a purpose. All screws, no glue for future changes.

IMG_4853.jpgIMG_4582.jpgIMG_4852.jpegIMG_3080.jpg

Cameron. In the midst of large projects I bring home additional carts but keep 1 rubbermaid cart always. I too dislike the metal ones, the hardware always seems loose and with 2 lbs it feels rickety. Once the job is done spares go back. The one I keep full time I have a piece of ply, just larger than the top, permanently attached. Its always nice to have things mobile the one that has been getting me is my pile of doors and drawer fronts i have to move everytime i need to open a drawer

George, I'd love to have/lose carts depending on the project. How do you arrange for that?