Thread: Brother Sent Me Some Parts

Blog Entries

Brother Sent Me Some Parts

I do a bit of rust hunting now and then. Did more when building up the accumulation of tools in my shop. My younger brother has been making a living out of it for years. He isn't much into tools but knows of my interest in hand planes and a few other things.

During the week, the USPS Informed Delivery indicated a package was coming that made me wonder who was sending me something. Turned out my brother was out hunting for stuff and came across a box of parts from wooden planes and some from metal planes.

Almost everything was in baggies. The threaded hardware was dumped into a tin left over from the days after Valentine's day sale.

Hardware in Dove Tin.jpg

The totes & knobs are mostly from wooden bodied planes:

Plane Parts from Steve.jpg

The totes might be used to make coat hooks and the knobs might be handles for my circle and ellipse templates.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice little haul, I hope you sent him something

Nice to have a good supply of spare parts for future use in rehabbing old planes

Is the yellow-colored tote pine, plywood, or something else? Looks a bit like a plywood-handled Craftsman saw I have, which is surprisingly ergonomic and actually my favorite rip saw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Lucas View Post
    Is the yellow-colored tote pine, plywood, or something else? Looks a bit like a plywood-handled Craftsman saw I have, which is surprisingly ergonomic and actually my favorite rip saw.
    I don't think it is plywood. I didn't pay much attention to it other than it has a slot in the base looking like it sits on a rib on the base.

It didn't feel like the pine we have here in the west. I think the eastern pines are harder than what we have here. Ours is soft and we scratch our heads when we hear about pine floors except in the loft of a barn.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Up into the 1920s the logging of old growth heart pine, aka long leaf pine, ceased commercially. The industry basically cut most of what at some point were large forests.

My understanding is that it was used in architecture, ship building, pitch production, etc. Once it was gone, fast growing "inferior" pines replaced them where they could.

Heart pine is a really nice looking, hard, durable timber. I learned this researching how to repair the floors in my house. All the flooring here is quarter sawn heart pine on the 1st floor and flat sawn on the 2nd and attic floors.

Pine nowadays has a reputation of being soft, cheap wood, but that's just because we don't have old growth forests anymore. If one runs into reclaimed beams from, for example, old barns, old buildings, old flooring, etc., one should jump at the chance to work some of that wood.

Blog Entries
    Found this after a little searching:

True pine has a Janka rating of 1570, Carribean heart pine is 1280, red pine is 1630, longleaf southern yellow pine is 870, both shortleaf and loblolly southern yellow pine are 690, white pine is 420, and eastern white pine ranks in at 380 to give a few specific numbers.
    From > http://www.usfmhi.com/janka-hardness...lly-shortleaf/

Eastern white pine is softer than western soft pine. Southern yellow pine (short leaf) is harder than western pine. I often wonder how much it would cost to get a load of SYP out to the west.

Another interesting site on wood hardness > https://alansfactoryoutlet.com/75-ty...they-are-used/

jtk