Thread: plowing slush

plowing slush

We're having a mud season snowstorm here with about 3"of slop on top of unfrozen ground. Too heavy to shovel for long, too dense for my snowblower and the tractor tends to make a godawful mess even with backdragging. What a winter. A few more like this and logging will be relegated to dry summer spells, if there are any. I guess I'll get up to the ski hill tomorrow and see if I can make some turns- should be a foot and a half up there, atop the finest New England topsoil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    We're having a mud season snowstorm here with about 3"of slop on top of unfrozen ground.
    We currently have at least 3-4 inches of wet snow. It is supposed to stop tomorrow morning (Monday). By Wednesday it is supposed to get into the 60's. Don't worry, by Wednesday afternoon, yours will be gone.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

past saw a guy who modded his snow blower to make it work with slush. Cant remember what he did but was having an issue with the clogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    past saw a guy who modded his snow blower to make it work with slush. Cant remember what he did but was having an issue with the clogging.
    The usual modification is to put rubber flaps on the impeller that sends snow out the chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The usual modification is to put rubber flaps on the impeller that sends snow out the chute.

Works great, just make sure you get the flaps spaced right to the tightest spot.
    Ron

I added a piece of 11/2” PVC pipe to my blade. This has pretty much eliminated picking up stone and mud.
    IMG_3145.jpg
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

6" of powder since yesterday down here at 700' elevation, about 24" at Mad River Glen with blizzard conditions at mid-day. Ski it when you can.

I think they stopped making those jet engine snow blowers. This last Blizzard was weird. No down here in the valley but constant snow for three days in the mountains 75 miles East. The skys to the east looked ominous for days. They got about 5'. on top of 3-5' earlier in the the week.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I think they stopped making those jet engine snow blowers. This last Blizzard was weird. No down here in the valley but constant snow for three days in the mountains 75 miles East. The skys to the east looked ominous for days. They got about 5'. on top of 3-5' earlier in the the week.
    Bill D
    I thought you were substituting feet for inches until I looked at your location. I guess there can be such a thing as too much snow. I never heard of atmospheric rivers before last year, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I thought you were substituting feet for inches until I looked at your location. I guess there can be such a thing as too much snow. I never heard of atmospheric rivers before last year, did you?
    Never heard the term before last year. The ski resort near us got 52' last year. it has about 25' so far this season which is about normal. California has what they call a "normal" rainfall/snowfall total. In fact it is almost always double or one half of "normal". Get "Normal" every ten years or so.
    Bill D