Thread: Compressor Oil Change Problem!

Compressor Oil Change Problem!

I'm hoping someone on here is good with compressor motors. I have a large CH 7.5 HP compressor. I was changing the oil today and had a brain fart. I started to refill the oil through the breather. Probably 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil got in this way before I stopped and added in the correct fill. Now I'm concerned I may have an issue due to this. The power is still off so it hasn't been run at all since I did this. What do I need to do now? I have an automatic low oil guard with window for oil level. This is not coming up so that's what got me to thinking I may have caused a larger issue. Ideas? Thanks, Neil

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

You might have to cylinder so full that it will hydraulic lock and bend parts. You may have to remove a head or cyclinder to get that oil out before you even think of running it again.How does being good with motors make a difference? I'm hoping someone on here is good with compressor motors.

All this is a bit of speculation since I have no idea if that compressor is a vane or piston compressor, single or two stage compressor. Here a picture will really save words.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-10-2024 at 5:02 PM.

Crankcase breather? No problem I would unscrew it and pour out the oil.
    Intake filter? Remove filter element and turn pump over by hand several times to see if it is going to hydrolock. If it seems good run it but keep blowing air so no pressure builds.
    BilL D

I put an oil bath air cleaner on my ac input.
    Bill D

Thanks for your responses. It did appear to be a hydrolock which we were able to clear. Filled and running fine now.

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Now the problem is everything downstream of the pump is contaminated with oil. The tank, valves, hoses, plumbing, filters, regulators. No idea how clean you need your air. Most of the oil will blow out after a while of use. Will it ever be clean enough for spraying finish?
    I bought a used compressor for the tank and motor. It was clean enough air for blasting. The oil blow by was so bad I got sick to my stomach when blasting. Works great now with a new/rebuilt pump. I only spray oil based paints. All clear finishes are hand brushed.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-14-2024 at 11:21 AM.

It will not be an issue for pneumatic tools. It will absolutely be an issue if you use the system for spraying finishes. In that case, if you are lucky, a brand new oil filter on your spraying drop might catch it all, but there's no assurance of that, unfortunately.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...