Thread: Genoa, Wi.

Genoa, Wi.

My wife and I went for a nice but cool spring getaway to La Cross Wi. yesterday. We went visiting as many antique stores as we could on our way, both ways actually. We took the scenic drive up highway 35 along the Mississippi from Prairie Du Chien Wi. About 10 miles south of La Cross we stopped at the small town of Genoa, and visited the Old Tool Shed Antiques store.

An old gentleman ( guessing was well in his 80s) runs it and if I was going really check things out I would bring a flash light. Lighting wasn't good at all in the old building. He has more Bedrock planes in there than Stanley's. He knows what his stuff is worth but not overpriced either. I bought 3 things and I had to go next door to get to a ATM because he doesn't take cards, only cash or checks. I saw 1 #1 but he wouldn't sell it. Last time I was there he had 3. Worth visiting if you ever get in the area.

Anyway some pictures and the flash helps.

IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0045.JPGIMG_0046.JPG IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0048.JPG

The wall displays are from both sides and the whole store was full. Only one side of the building is open but the other side was half full and the basement has just about the same amount.

Worth stopping just to look But only open Thursdays through Saturday.
    Last edited by Tom Bussey; 03-10-2024 at 11:03 AM.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    That is an impressive collection of old iron! Places like that are becoming rare. Our community lost an amazing old store in the flood of 93. There was a big effort to save the antiques. Some were new old stock that had been in the store for many years. The store rebuilt on higher ground but lots of the old items never reappeared.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Bought three things, a tapered 12 inch saw. I tried to get a pictures of the etching but failed, A scraper plane I think was made in Germany and a Bailey 4 1/2 type 11 or 12.

IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0051.JPGIMG_0052.JPG
    Tom

Blog Entries
    I could likely lose the rent money in a place like that.

We used to have a used tool store in town. He sold off his store and now the buyer has a different second hand store in town with more antique type things and some tools.

I haven't been down to the antique shops in Central Oregon for ages, even ages before the pandemic. Perhaps it is time to go see if any of them are still in business.

Guess I should stop at the bank first. Cash can often open a seller's heart to knocking off a few bucks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)