Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: YouTube, Free education, and worth every penny.

YouTube is like most other things; 90% is crap. But the other 10% is very good and very useful.

Just wait til AI gets involved. These will seem like the golden days of instruction
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Just wait til AI gets involved. These will seem like the golden days of instruction
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^ (and it's no joke)
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Don't be fooled by the hype. AI is mostly just another big, overblown nothing burger.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Don't be fooled by the hype. AI is mostly just another big, overblown nothing burger.
    I've been in this industry for about 30 years now. I actually see code that's been AI generated regularly enough. I'll also point out that companies are spending billions on this. It's the current big fad.

Now if agile will just die...
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

"He said, as he whistled past the graveyard."

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    "He said, as he whistled past the graveyard."
    Ha-ha!

I am far from the only person skeptical of AI. My favorite take on the subject comes from a video by Adam Conover. He's the guy from the "Adam Ruins Everything" show. He rubs some people the wrong way, but I actually like him. He's very good at cutting through layers of BS and getting to the real story. And oh yeah, there is just so much BS around AI. Sure, it has much potential, but contrary to all the hyperbole, it's not going to revolutionize anything any time soon.

Consider robotics technology. It has evolved slowly over the decades to the point where very sophisticated, laser guided robots now do to a lot of the assembly on automotive assembly lines. Decades ago people were predicting robots taking over the world and revolutionizing society overnight. And just like AI, people were predicting dystopian doom. Nope.

Self-driving cars? Same story. Sure they exist. And, despite multiple dead pedestrians, testing is still going on in Phoenix and San Francisco. But there are still many, many problems and many, many challenges. The big revolution everyone was predicting a few years ago didn't happen and it likely won't happen in our lifetimes.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 03-12-2024 at 2:20 PM.

Ha-ha!

I am far from the only person skeptical of AI. My favorite take on the subject comes from a video by Adam Conover. He's the guy from the "Adam Ruins Everything" show. He rubs some people the wrong way, but I actually like him. He's very good at cutting through layers of BS and getting to the real story. And oh yeah, there is just so much BS around AI. Sure, it has much potential, but contrary to all the hyperbole, it's not going to revolutionize anything any time soon.

Consider robotics technology. It has evolved slowly over the decades to the point where very sophisticated, laser guided robots now do to a lot of the assembly on automotive assembly lines. Decades ago people were predicting robots taking over the world and revolutionizing society overnight. And just like AI, people were predicting dystopian doom. Nope.

Self-driving cars? Same story. Sure they exist. And, despite multiple dead pedestrians, testing is still going on in Phoenix and San Francisco. But there are still many, many problems and many, many challenges. The big revolution everyone was predicting a few years ago didn't happen and it likely won't happen in our lifetimes.
    Ah, there I agree with you: "not in our lifetime".
    Maybe at the very end of mine if my genes stay true to "type" ("type" being the longevity of the women on both sides of my family)

I don't think AI will sweep the world real soon but and it's a big but, AI is a lot different from robotics which are made by humans to do a task over and over. AI has the ability to use the knowledge it has learned to learn and understand more which could result in exponential growth rather than linear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I don't think AI will sweep the world real soon but and it's a big but, AI is a lot different from robotics which are made by humans to do a task over and over. AI has the ability to use the knowledge it has learned to learn and understand more which could result in exponential growth rather than linear.
    Currently most of what AI does is scrape the Internet for content and mash it together into images or poorly written articles. I'm sure it will get better.

Currently most of what AI does is scrape the Internet for content and mash it together into images or poorly written articles. I'm sure it will get better.
    It'll hit the poorly scripted video stage eventually. I am sure.

Or not. maybe we'll have figured out that left to it's own devices, it tends to produce junk (go look at AI generated images that include fingers, as a very brief current example)

The biggest thing, currently, is trying to use AI to replace customer service representatives. At least at the first level of contact.. for now.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

AI is already replacing people. While there is certainly hype, it is having a real world impact. A team of low level marketing professionals who used to write content are now reduced to one person. That person now proof reads AI generated content. That’s just one example.

Add to that list customer facing service representatives, technical sales reps of various types, and general sales people. AI models are being implemented to replace/reduce headcount across industries. It’s what offshoring was a few decades ago, but wider in scope.

I agree that a lot of the sensational stuff is hype. But it has real applications for companies looking to reduce their headcount.

Fingers and more, the longer you look the weirder it gets.............
    317737339_559115432891524_7273344794669861173_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    AI is already replacing people. While there is certainly hype, it is having a real world impact. A team of low level marketing professionals who used to write content are now reduced to one person. That person now proof reads AI generated content. That’s just one example.

Add to that list customer facing service representatives, technical sales reps of various types, and general sales people. AI models are being implemented to replace/reduce headcount across industries. It’s what offshoring was a few decades ago, but wider in scope.

I agree that a lot of the sensational stuff is hype. But it has real applications for companies looking to reduce their headcount.
    And as soon as that person proof reads/corrects enough AI generated content, they'll be gone too

Is anything consumer facing getting better, I would argue no, at least not yet.
    I have no problem with machine learning computing mathematical equations that would take humans years and running countless scenarios 24/7 to solve problems but the absolute rush to eliminate humans is just a blatant money grab. Where can we cut corners and keep more profit, I know those pesky employees, who needs them.

https://www.makeuseof.com/reasons-ar...eplace-humans/

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post

I'm not surprised by this because "management" often has no appreciation for quality. "Why pay people when I can just get AI to crank out content? OK. I'll keep on one person to proofread."

Years ago clip art replaced a lot of graphic artists. But that doesn't mean clip art could do the same thing as graphic artists.

Recently Sports Illustrated got into some hot water for printing AI generated articles. If you read the articles, they make no sense.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 03-13-2024 at 8:35 AM.