Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: YouTube, Free education, and worth every penny.

YouTube, Free education, and worth every penny.

So currently i am learning how to build racecar engines.

Well, it's in, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    So currently i am learning how to build racecar engines.
    Someone get that guy a dead-blow mallet

... and hit him with it.

I have a feeling it might be a short race if that's how the whole car is built.

at least he wasnt wearing gloves

Guys an amateur. Shouldn't have taken anymore than three hits with a hammer that big.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Ow! Those are painful just to watch.

I couldn't find it, but there was one like this- torch on in flip flops. Said he would teach a special technique, but he burned his foot and never got to the special technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZZlY76CMw4

I also can't forget the one where a guy demonstrating the proper way to use a jointer came millimeters from shortening five fingers by wrapping them around the end of the board he was jointing.

The REAL Stumpy Nubs.

Just seeing the picture (I didn't watch the vid) makes me almost physically sick (because my imagination kicks into overdrive) :-p
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I have watched some bona-fide pro's do some crazy stuff. Remember that most people on The Tube are amateurs,

It is true that you don't always get what you pay for... But you don't often get things you don't pay for.

Once upon a time, I was contemplating doing my own tile work. 100% of the free advice I got at the home store and about 75% of what I found online was simply wrong. I eventually found good information, but that only reinforced my impression that hiring a pro was time and money ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    I have watched some bona-fide pro's do some crazy stuff. Remember that most people on The Tube are amateurs,

It is true that you don't always get what you pay for... But you don't often get things you don't pay for.

Once upon a time, I was contemplating doing my own tile work. 100% of the free advice I got at the home store and about 75% of what I found online was simply wrong. I eventually found good information, but that only reinforced my impression that hiring a pro was time and money ahead.

Maybe, but I've seen pros do wrong things plenty of times (and I are one).

I have had a lot of machine parts messed up at machine shops, that's why i bought a lathe, surface grinder, milling machine etc, I wish that I could do my own dental work and surgery, so I just don't trust "professionals" that much. i generally expect stuff to get screwed up and occasionally am surprised when it's not. I have been told to leave several machine shops, for pointing out that they screwed up my part.

last week I received a piece of 60mm ID honed stainless steel hydraulic cylinder tube, that I ordered from a company that is 5 hours from me, I ordered it before Christmas. it was supposed to be 178mm long, the piece that arrived was 128mm long, close but no cigar. Par for the course.
    The stainless steel is on the left and is to replace the brass one on the right.

tubing.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 03-10-2024 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    WHAT!
    They're on the internet, thay have a YouTube channel, How can you say they're not pros?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN7G7G3gMeg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93AoRgbz2cY

They are indeed strange times we live in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Just seeing the picture (I didn't watch the vid) makes me almost physically sick (because my imagination kicks into overdrive) :-p
    I did watch the video and he was making that cut free hand. He had his left hand much too close to the blade. That cut would have been much safer and more accurately done using a miter gauge or a crosscut sled. Not something you should do the way he is demonstrating.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute