Thread: Need Advice on Which Stabilizer for Hollowing

Need Advice on Which Stabilizer for Hollowing

Hello, I'm interested in getting into hollowing and have been looking at various stabilizer systems. I'm probably not going to try very large pieces... maybe 12-14 inches length maximum. After doing a fair bit of internet "research" I'm leaning towards the Trent Bosch rig, but would love to hear from folks who've used either that one, or the Elbo 2 or the larger Jamieson system. Also, if anyone has done a DIY version of the Bosch Visualizer, could you tell us what you used for the components, particularly the camera. Thanks in advance for all responses!

All this information has been discussed extensively, for maybe a decade. To do a visualizer, you need an OSB inspection camera, a sheet of acetate, an erasing marker, and an old laptop. I made mine in 2014 for less than $20. Edit: The elbow will definitely not handle 14" deep, and I would think you will get a lot of vibration from the Bosch as well. The larger Jamieson will be the one to choose. It takes a lot of steel to be stable with 15-16" hanging over the rest,
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-10-2024 at 5:08 PM.

I use a Kobra and Jameson(Home built) and added a camera and 21" monitor. The monitor I found for a few bucks I searched until I found one a magnet would stick to so I do not have to erase the acetate I just hold it with some rare earth magnets and move it around as I change cutters and tools. I also use a 'washer' magnet on the acetate where the cutter is which gives me depth cut away from the cutter at what ever thickness I want. I am afraid I can't help with the camera as I got mine so long ago it is likely no longer available. I did mount the monitor on a cupboard at the head of m lathe and all I have to do is attach the camera and push a button and I am ready to hollow.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I own Trent Bosch's Stabilizer and Visualizer. While it's kind of a black hole to go down in terms of cost, I was never sorry that I bought the Statilizer first; then the Visualizer. The Stabilizer takes most of the beating that is normally transmitted to the turner's arms and shoulders. Also, I think, because of that, it also does a more efficient and better job of hollowing than without it. The Visualizer really allows me to do a better job of getting the sides and bottom consistent and to the thickness I intend. Nothing's perfect and, in the end, any setup requires careful monitoring of side thickness and technique. However, the Stabilizer just makes the whole process easier and increases the enjoyment of the hollowing process. The Visualizer is an add-on which also increases my enjoyment because I'm not worrying as much about wall thickness.

I have never tried other hollowing setups, so really can't give feedback on any other than Trent's.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    I use a Kobra and Jameson(Home built) and added a camera and 21" monitor. The monitor I found for a few bucks I searched until I found one a magnet would stick to so I do not have to erase the acetate I just hold it with some rare earth magnets and move it around as I change cutters and tools. I also use a 'washer' magnet on the acetate where the cutter is which gives me depth cut away from the cutter at what ever thickness I want. I am afraid I can't help with the camera as I got mine so long ago it is likely no longer available. I did mount the monitor on a cupboard at the head of m lathe and all I have to do is attach the camera and push a button and I am ready to hollow.
    Do you hollow 12-14" deep with the Bosch?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Do you hollow 12-14" deep with the Bosch?
    If you want to go that deep, look at the system Steve Sinner sells: Advanced Lathe Tools. Steve does some awfully deep hollowing. He's a one man shop. You have to call him is you want one. His phone number is on his website. Just search for "Advanced Lathe Tools" and it will come right up.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

I thought only the Sanding Glove was the place to buy his tools. The price list on Steve's website is dated 2022. https://www.thesandingglove.com/Adva...ar-Systems.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I thought only the Sanding Glove was the place to buy his tools. The price list on Steve's website is dated 2022. https://www.thesandingglove.com/Adva...ar-Systems.asp
    I assure you, you can buy direct from Steve. Call him if interested. I have no business association with Steve, just known him for years.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"