Thread: Fiber Laser Issue

Fiber Laser Issue

Client brought in a 100mm brass disc to engrave. When I checked the settings on the back of the disc with a piece of text all looks good, when I replace the text with the jpeg using the same settings I didn't get what I was expecting and I don't know why or what to do to fix it. Any Ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. PXL_20240308_182130246.jpgPXL_20240308_181951122.jpg
    BEC Fiber Laser 50 watts with Rotary Attachment and supplied EzCad
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment
    Shenhui 350 50 watts with supplied RDWorksV8
    Sherline CNC Milling Machine
    Concrete Printer CNC Engraver

Not sure what's going on, I haven't messed with engraving jpg's much, there's so many options, like dither or not, pixel power adjust, DPI-- for fun I took a customer's logo which is just text and a blue shaded 'swoosh' that changes from dark to light blue, took a screenshot, saved it as a jpg, imported it into EzCad-- it came in as basic grayscale, and I ran it on a small brass tag-- I made one run at my default settings which are 1500 speed/100 power/35 freq, not much happened, so I lowered the speed to 200, that was the ONLY change I made, I made NO changes regarding photo engraving... Second try came out pretty good, the black text came out dark brown and the shaded blue did okay, was mostly 'frost' colored but everything looked basically like it should, it didn't do anything like yours did-- yours almost looks like it was trying to 'add snow' to the tops of the letters, as if it on purpose... On close inspection, WHERE the dark changes to light on the lettering is kinda in the same place but in many places it varies quite a bit, especially the 'by' where the non-engraved is on the BOTTOM, most of the other is on the TOP, and some not at all...

My only guess is, your power-to-speed ratios may have been on the edge of just being enough TO engrave okay or NOT engrave ok... I HAVE found brass to be a bit finicky with power and focus settings...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

fiber laser and brass

best thing is to run the material test in Lightburn and from ther you might get the best settings
    shown here is brass marked black

https://youtu.be/6TQM5OpZneg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do not know much about fiber and such, but my guess is the start of tube failure or your power unit needs checking.

i am not an expert on fiber been using mine since dec 27 2023 but i was told not to engrave *.jpg files
    I use all vectors for everything except photos
    And the *.png format is recommended
    secondly use Lightburn instead of ezcad
    And of course make sure you are in focus

Quote Originally Posted by stan kern View Post
    i am not an expert on fiber been using mine since dec 27 2023 but i was told not to engrave *.jpg files
    I use all vectors
    for everything except photos
    Since most of my fibering is industrial oriented, text, logos & such, I don't mess much with anything BUT vector files. Right now all 4 of my fibers - newest of which is about 4 years old, none of which show any signs of slowing down (knock on my head!)- are busy and have about 2 more days before they're freed up-- this subject, engraving from OTHER than 'closed' hatch filled vectors has me curious, when I get a few minutes I want to mess with trying engraving from some pics, png's & such...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle