Thread: Sawstop switch box mounting loosens over time

Sawstop switch box mounting loosens over time

New Sawstop, love the saw, some of the down flow dust collection could be better. A lot more sawdust around the table than my old craftsman cabinet saw, but so much better quality saw.

Anyway, you mount the switch box using a couple M6 star head machine bolts with a washer and lock washer under the head, no nut. I can't get this tight enough to keep the switch box fixed in place. Always works loose so the whole box moves back or forward when turning the unit on/off. I tried some locktite on the threads, no help. I bough some M6 nylon insert lock nuts to put on the bolts, but they will not thread on past the nylon in the nut. I took off the lock washer to make sure I had enough thread coming through to go into the nut, but the threads will not go into the nylon on the nut.

Any help understanding why much appreciated? I guess I can put the lock washer on the back and use a standard M6 nut instead.

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

They knew by 1900 that lockwashers do nothing. Throw out the lock washers and use flat washers and better locktite. Even HF sells real loctite brand. I would replace the bolt with a better quality product.
    Let the loctite cure overnite before using tool.
    Loctite blue is better then red in this use. I think that is called medium strength. No heating to remove.
    Can you stake the nut after tightening? If a nylock nut is getting loose the bolt threads are small. Are you sure it is metric not English?
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-10-2024 at 2:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    You didn't say or show what the screw was going into. If it is plastic, then loctite isn't going to work. In fact loctite doesn't play well with many plastics.

I would suggest that you go to your local hardware store and buy a longer screw with the lock nut you already have.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

have 10/32 nuts with some sort of attached washer. Never had one loosen up, its different than a lock washer and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    They knew by 1900 that lockwashers do nothing. Throw out the lock washers and use flat washers and better locktite. Even HF sells real loctite brand. I would replace the bolt with a better quality product.
    Let the loctite cure overnite before using tool.
    Loctite blue is better then red in this use. I think that is called medium strength. No heating to remove.
    Can you stake the nut after tightening? If a nylock nut is getting loose the bolt threads are small. Are you sure it is metric not English?
    Bill D
    I used blue loctite brand. I used thread checkers at Lowe's, but can double check. Thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You didn't say or show what the screw was going into. If it is plastic, then loctite isn't going to work. In fact loctite doesn't play well with many plastics.

I would suggest that you go to your local hardware store and buy a longer screw with the lock nut you already have.
    Cast iron threaded hole underneath the top. Thought about drilling the hole out and just using z bolt, but that seems extreme. Brian
    Brian

That's a fairly new saw isn't it? If it's still under warranty a call to SawStop might get you a solution.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Cast iron threaded hole underneath the top. Thought about drilling the hole out and just using z bolt, but that seems extreme. Brian
    Clean the screw and the hole to eliminate any oil and then apply the blue loctite to the first 10-12 threads to go into the hole all the way around the screw. Let it set 24 hours before you use the saw. Make sure to work it into the threads.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Clean the screw and the hole to eliminate any oil and then apply the blue loctite to the first 10-12 threads to go into the hole all the way around the screw. Let it set 24 hours before you use the saw. Make sure to work it into the threads.
    Called Sawstop it is an M6 x 1 thread. Learned the hard way I can't use a nut on it. Tried new machine screw and nuts, but since it is a threaded hole the nut won't pull the machine screw any tighter, it just strips the thread on the screw & nut. I'll use new M6 bolts with the washer and lock nut under the head and blue loctite and let it sit overnight like you suggest. This will be the best I can do. It won't fall off, but the switch box should be stationary. Thanks Brian
    Brian

That sounds goo, Brian, but I'll reiterate what someone already mentioned...be sure to thoroughly clean the tapped hole in the table so there are no manufacturing oils embedded. That should help keep things solid, especially with the Loctite.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...