Thread: Old martin guitar

Old martin guitar

I clicked to hear the sound of this guitar then realized ive heard this song before maybe even posted it that not so sure. Do remember hearing it and looking it up and thinking how did i get this far along and not know this song. No shortage of hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME96nHFQ-L8

Blog Entries
    Don Willams's version with the Chieftains is a favorite.

I apprenticed with a gentleman who has spent his life working on the secrets of the Martin sound. There is a thread about his latest build on the acoustic guitar forum.

Franklin OM build - The Acoustic Guitar Forum

And this where Mr. Grossman mentions the Martin sound.

Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-07-2024 at 11:10 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

thanks Maurice will check it out

We have a lady here Linda Manzer makes some serious acoustics, Pat Methany Paul Simon and. I think she learned from Larivee and a number of others as well.

I was interested to hear the guitar, used to sell them when I was a kid both different acoustics and electrics.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-07-2024 at 11:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Linda Manzer is the real deal. A neat thing in the instrument building community is the presence of Women Woodworkers.

I follow youtuber Rob MacKillop who also features some very old guitars played masterfully and sounding wonderful.

Wild Mountain Thyme on the 180 Year Old Martin video is excellent in every way! (including hair)
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-08-2024 at 7:47 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Martins are special guitars.
    My D-35 is now 45 years old, and I am its original owner. I can't play it as well as I used to. Arthritis, broken fingers, and torn tendons in my hands through the years, have slowed down my left hand, but it gets better sounding as time goes on.
    It's the only possession I own that I worry about what will happen to it, once I'm not here.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Sold those and still remember one used D-18 we had to re sell that just sang. I never understood how people that worked with their hands could still play well, one friend a mechanic. Nother customer played hockey and guitar with Bowie. I cant see how you dont hurt your fingers. One customer got mugged in New York then time not being able to play. Jointing tons of red oak over days fingers were stiff calluses so much so you dont get slivers anymore then how do you play. Not as bad as being a roofer, but hands take a beating. It always surprised me Jeff Beck worked on his own hot rods.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting that Warren. Wild Mountain Thyme is one of Candy's and my favorite tunes. The version we listen to most is from the Sons of Somerled album (Steve McDonald).

Do remember hearing it and looking it up and thinking how did i get this far along and not know this song.
    This is the Steve McDonald version from the album > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd5CghPm1x8

Another version by Eric Rigler > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59hv2nFZZ1k

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Here is the Tab for a nice rendition. My "song a year" New Years resolution for last year was Red Is The Rose. I printed the tab on January 2 2023 and have not seen it or picked up the guitar since January 3 2023. Needless to say I did not accomplish my resolution.

https://thesongsofjamestaylor.co.uk/...me-guitar-tab/
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-09-2024 at 9:22 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

was on a you tube music night last night, went from Guthrie Govan to Frank Gamble, Glenn campbell and and then onto Jims post and Maurice now. you tube below comes after and makes me think of the guy who built that guitar think one for David Wilcox.

for four years lived in downtown Toronto and was likely living 500 or 600 feet away from Linda, I didnt know of her at the time. Could have just walked over to her shop. Someone gave her my number once and talked to her about spray guns. When I listened to what Jim posted I saw a side bar you tube an clicked and it was elderly scottish people who have no water cause of Trumpets golf course. My neighbour is 93 and I see how even small things after her, changes around here new houses where a farm is. Cant imagine not having water.

Something powerful about an acoustic guitar. Once years back listened to a Toronto band open up for Kenny Loggins. Both were stellar bands., At one point no band and just Kenny sits down with an acoustic and sings. You could hear a pin drop before he started. It was simple but so powerful. This below was after your you tube Maurice and ive watched it a number of times. Its too long for me for music and my ear is out, his guitar sounds a bit out of tune to me but I cant trust my ear now, also ive heard some people are tunning different maybe not like a piano but something different ill have to learn more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXj9DcjjWZE
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-09-2024 at 12:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here is another old guitar video. It is not a Martin.

Best Regards, Maurice

I'll throw this video in the mix. Dustin Furlow playing Wichita Lineman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiugghorjDc Not an old guitar but stunning anyway. It's amazing what you can do with wood.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries